chapter 10: Price of Defiance

Gulf stood in front of the mirror, the grand size of the castle making him feel even smaller than he already was. Though only a part of the castle was his, it still felt overwhelming. His reflection stared back at him-his face clearly showcasing his nervousness as his mind was racing with thoughts about what would happen after the wedding banquet. Would he be able to let Mew truly claim him as his consort?

Sam, Gulf's loyal attendant, noticed the worry etched on his face. Though she wanted to comfort him, her role was limited. She hesitated for a moment before speaking the instructions she had been given. "Princess Gulf, starting tonight, we won't be allowed to attend to you for a week. Please, take care."

Gulf met her eyes, understanding the gravity of her words. For the next seven days, he would be alone with Mew-no maids, no attendants, just the two of them. He gave her a small nod, more out of duty than reassurance. He told himself Mew wasn't a monster, though the uncertainty still weighed on him.

As Gulf was nearly ready, another maid rushed into the room, slightly breathless. "Princess Gulf, the Emperor sent this for you to wear tonight." She held out a new mask, more elaborate and beautiful than the one he was accustomed to.

Gulf took it in his hands, feeling an unexpected sense of joy. Though the tradition of his home land only required him to wear a mask until the wedding ceremony he thought to continue till he reach Siam, but unexpectedly Emperor Mew had allowed him to continue this practice as a comfort. It was a small but significant gesture, one that made Gulf feel like he still had some semblance of hope in his new life.

He placed the new mask on and prepared to leave. As he stepped outside, Mew's sister, Jom, awaited him. Her eyes widened in admiration as she took in Gulf's appearance-the elegant dress that concealed his figure and the beautiful mask that adorned his face. She bowed to him, acknowledging his status as the Emperor's consort.

"Phi Jom," Gulf greeted her respectfully, returning the bow.

Jom moved closer, taking his hands in hers. "You look stunning, Gulf. Why hide behind the mask?" she asked with genuine curiosity.

Before Gulf could answer, a deep, commanding voice interrupted them. "Because I asked him to wear it," Mew's voice echoed through the corridor, startling both Jom and Gulf. He stood tall on the bridge above them, his presence dominating the space.

Mew descended the stairs, his gaze fixed on Jom's hands holding Gulf's. Jom, realizing the implication, quickly released her hold and bowed once again, as did Gulf. Mew merely nodded, his eyes sweeping over Gulf's attire. The dress was modest, hiding Gulf's curves, and the mask ensured that no one but Mew would truly see him. A smirk tugged at the corner of Mew's lips, satisfied that Gulf was dressed exactly as he desired.

He extended his hand to Gulf, his eyes expectant. Gulf hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether to take it. Seeing his reluctance, Jom gently guided Gulf's hand into Mew's, offering a reassuring smile. Mew's smirk widened in satisfaction-Jom had only seen that look when her brother felt he had won something.

"Phi Mew, it should be me taking him to the wedding banquet," Jom said, her tone light but clearly stating her case.

Mew raised an eyebrow, feigning ignorance. "Really?" he asked, though he knew the customs well. He glanced at Gulf, their eyes meeting for a brief moment, before turning back to Jom. "It's fine. I'm here now," he said playfully, though his grip on Gulf's hand tightened, a subtle show of dominance.

Jom tried once more. "But, as per tradition, only after the banquet can you carry him to the chambers," she persisted, unwilling to give up the role so easily.

Gulf, hidden behind the mask, felt his face flush, his hands trembling slightly in Mew's firm grasp. Mew, sensing the nervousness, squeezed his hand a bit tighter, offering an unspoken reassurance-or perhaps a warning.