She is you. Part 1.

Elya was a lovely mixing of her mother and her father. She won her mother smile and hair color but she also won her father blue eyes. She was an independent little girl with a strong temper. She was the consequence of a birth control fail, but she was loved at the first second they knew Lucy was pregnant, and even more when they heard her heartbeat for the first time. Elya, " Els " to her parents, was daddy's girl. And even if she loved them both, her dad was her hero, always proud when he picked her up at school once a week, when he came to her classroom on " Career day " dressed with his uniform. And Lucy wouldn't change anything, she loved the way Elya looked like her father in so many way.

But sometimes, Elya was all her mother. Today was one of this day. The three of them were sitting in one of their favourite dinner for lunch, sunday tradition. While Tim was on for a burger and fries, his girls were more " we could have a second breakfast today " and ordered waffles and pancakes, as usual. They enjoyed thoses moments, they won't last forever. Soon enough, one day, Elya wouldn't hang out with them anymore, she will probably spend her sunday morning in her bed. But for now, they talked about what happened at school, Elya asked her parents for police stories. 

She was listenning her father when her eyes caught something, or someone. She stared, focused on what was happening her fathers words were now lost somewhere. She was a curious little six years old. Her parents noticed that her attention was on something else, and they tried to understand. Elya was silent, observant, in her own bubble.

" Something wrong Els ? " asked Lucy 

But she didn't answer.

" Earth to Els .. "

" Daddy ? "

" Something wrong ? "

" Am good  "

" Eat your waffle though .. come on.. "

She took a bite, but she stared again. But this time something changed. Something unexpected : teary eyes. She stood up, took her plate and her glass and without saying any words she crossed the dinner. She stopped at the table next to the window. A senior woman, around 80 years old, was sitting here, alone, drinking her coffee. Elya said hi to her, they exchanged few words before the little girl sat with her and started to eat her waffles.

When she left her parents without a word, Tim was ready to follow her but Lucy stopped him. She trusted her baby girl.

" What Luce ? "

" Let her... "

And they observed her. And when she sat with the old lady Tim looked at Lucy.

" She is so you... "

" She is 90% you babe... Let me have those 10% please "

And they let her have her second breakfast with a perfect stranger. Right now she was all her mother. She had the concern look before she left the table, the emotion, the smile she gave to this lady, and the ease to speak to someone she didn't know. It was 100% Lucy. It was the sunshine part of her. Elya was kind, altruistic, sensitive because of her mother. She taught her how to be this way with people while her father taught her to be on her guard everytime, to not trust everyone. She learnt all of it and used it her way.

After twenty minutes, and after saying goodbye to her new friend, Elya sat again with her parents. She had that smile on her face.

" Why did you eat your breakfast with that lady ? " asked Tim

" She was alone. "

" That's why you practically cry ? "

" Hm hm. It was not fair. She was alone and old. And she seemed sad. "

" Did you have a good time with her ? " asked Lucy

" Yes ! She was nice. Her name was Suzie, she was a teacher ! I asked her why she was alone, she didn't answer, but she had sad eyes. I apologized. And she asked where my parents were. I showed her and she had a smile. Did i do something wrong daddy ? "

" No of course not peanut. It was nice of you to share a bit of your time with her.  "

" And it's okay to feel the way you felt when you saw her " added Lucy " You were kind to her. You can be proud of you. We are. "

" But next time, just tell us before .. hm ? Everyone is not a nice old lady "

" Sorry daddy.. "

" It's fine kiddo. Ready to go ? "

While they were walking to their car, Elya took her mother's hand. Tim looked a their girls for a minute, and realised she was more than only 10% of her mother. More he looked at them and more he was ready to have this conversation with Lucy tonight. He hated odd numbers ...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
07/09/24 : Hello Guys ! I hope you are good! Here a short OS for you. I might write the part 2 tomorrow, wait and see. I hope you liked it :) Don't forget to vote and comment, it still helps. Take care of you and see you... SOON. Xx