[25] Family Is Forever

"Merry Christmas, Reny!" Alyssa jumped up and down excitedly, as I walked through the door.

Christmas day had come and I was probably just as excited as Alyssa was.

I gave her a hug. "Merry Christmas, Lissy!"

It was twelve, noon and I was to spend the entire rest of the day with Jason's family. His mom had insisted, even though I told her I didn't want to intrude on their day. She said that she couldn't bear the thought of me sitting alone at home, without a family to celebrate the day with. She said that as far as she was concerned, I was part of their family.

****

I rubbed my mitten covered hands together, trying to warm them. But despite the cold, I was more than happy as I stood here, with Jason to my left and Alyssa to my right.

We were going door to door, singing Christmas songs to people and it was so fun to see the smiles on their faces. According to Alyssa, caroling was one of the most important traditions ever. And Christmas just wasn't the same without it. So that's what we were doing --caroling.

We had just gotten out of the Christmas service that had taken place at Jason's church. I had only been to church but once or twice before, as a child. I didn't have much memory of it.

But it was an amazing experience to go tonight, with Jason's family. I felt accepted and loved and their an irreplaceable joy that was growing in my heart. 

We were having so much fun tonight and so many laughs sounded from us as we moved around the neighborhood, singing to all those who would listen and trying to spread some holiday cheer.

I almost cried as we all sat around the Christmas tree and read from the Bible, right before I watched them open their gifts to each other. I didn't expect any gifts and I was fine without one. I was just happy watching them. 

Jason handed me a wrapped gift.

"Who's this one for?" I asked.

Jason's mom smiled. "It's for you. From all of us."

I just looked at it for a moment. This gift was for me. 

I slowly and carefully unwrapped the gift to reveal a gorgeous watch. There was a note attached to it that read "Family is forever and always. No matter what."

"We want you to know that you are welcome as part of our family." Jason's mom said. "No matter what time it is on that watch...you can always count on us."

I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around how loving they were being to me. It was such an amazing feeling and I didn't know what to do with it. 

"Are you okay, Reny?" Alyssa asked. 

I smiled. "Yes. I'm just...so happy." I hugged her. "Thank you. All of you."

I may not have had parents. Or siblings. But today...I had a family.

~~

(A/N) Heyy, my lovely readers!! I have nothing to say except that you guys are soooo amazing! Like, your comments are just so sweet and amazing and ahhh!!!! 

Okay, like seriously, that's actually it. XD Thanks so much for reading and for all your comments!