53

"Now it's your turn

"Now it's your turn. Get ready to meet your Death," she shouted, pulling the trigger of the pistol.

I closed my eyes, letting my mind wander to the most beautiful memory I had—my wife. I took a deep breath and slowly opened my eyes.

"What’s the rush?" A familiar voice echoed in my ears. "At least you should have met me before leaving." The person stepped out of the shadows and into the light.

"Rohan," I whispered, relief flooding through me, thinking he was here to save me.

"Yes, it's me," he replied with a smug grin, pointing his gun at Kiran. For a few moments, both of them were silent, just staring at each other, and then they both broke into laughter. Suddenly, Rohan turned his gun towards me.

"You bastard!" I growled, my anger boiling over. "I never expected this from you!" I lunged at him, gripping his collar, my fury spilling out.

"Expectations lead to disappointments, haven’t you heard?" he retorted, straightening his collar with that same smug smirk.

"You had a decent plan, but you overlooked one simple fact. The one who managed to remain unseen for all these years, do you really think you could catch her this easily? How foolish can you be?"

I stood there, seething, my mind clouded with frustration. For a moment, even I felt foolish for trusting Rohan. And what about Rohit? Where had he gone? Did Rohan already take care of him? My mind was spinning with these thoughts.

Before placing my phone on the table, I had already called Rohan, keeping the screen off so that our conversation—mine and Kiran’s—would reach him, alerting him to the danger. But if I had known this betrayal was coming, I would have called Rohit instead. God, how could I have been so careless? My anger was now directed at myself.

"Three more minutes, and I'll send both of you to the afterlife together. Make sure you stay united there as well," Rohan said with twisted pride in his voice.

"Aarushi..." I whispered, my voice breaking. "Look, your fight is with me. Don’t hurt her. She’s innocent!" I yelled, my tears now mixing with the rage I felt.

"She’s the one who started all of this! Always trying to play detective, isn’t she? If Rohan hadn’t told me she was pregnant, I would never have trusted him. And then, I would’ve fallen right into your trap." Kiran was hysterical, her rage blinding her.

"You scum, I won't let you get away with this!" I screamed, lunging at him

"You’ll have to survive first if you want revenge."

"She’s innocent! Please, let her go! Kill me if you must, but spare her!" I fell to my knees, tears streaming down my face as I begged.

"Oh Rohan, you really are heartless. Look at him, begging like a poor soul. Show some mercy, won't you?" Kiran mocked, and both of them laughed like maniacs.