Chapter 4 - Stepmother

Old Lady Song, after taking her medicine with Yushu's help, frowned slightly and asked, "Did she go to the ancestral hall?"

Nanny Huang showed a bit of sorrow on her face and nodded, "Yes, she knelt in the ancestral hall for half a day and cried for half a day. Even this old servant felt sad watching her."

Old Lady Song pondered for a long time.

The second son's first wife was an excellent match, coming from a prestigious family known for their literary and scholarly achievements. She had a kind heart and a gentle temperament, and within three years of marriage, she had given birth to a son and a daughter.

To marry Cui Shi, the old marquis himself had to personally request the matchmaker...

Unfortunately, she had a short life. After a difficult childbirth with Song Yan, she passed away.

Over the years, out of respect for Cui Shi, Old Madam Song had always shown extra favor to Song Chuyi and her brother, Song Yan. But who would have thought that this sixth girl, despite her clever appearance, was heartless.

She couldn't tell who treated her well and who didn't.

As time went on, Old Madam Song's patience wore thin.

No matter how deep her feelings for Cui Shi were, they couldn't withstand such wear and tear.

After all, the current second madam, Li Shi, was also her daughter-in-law, and the children she bore were also the descendants of the Song family.

Now, hearing that Song Chuyi had cried in front of Cui Shi's memorial tablet, Old Madam Song was surprised.

Just now, when the third household made a fuss, Song Chuyi didn't argue loudly even though she was in the right. Song Chumi, being older, shouldn't have hit the younger one, especially since it caused her to fall ill and almost lose her life. If it had been a month ago, the first thing Song Chuyi would have done upon waking up would have been to rush to Ningde Courtyard and make a scene.

After falling ill, had her temperament changed as well?

"Jieyi, do you think the sixth girl has changed?" Old Lady Song asked casually, watching a few maids in the corridor.

Jieyi was Nanny Huang's given name.

She thought for a moment and nodded, "She has changed a bit. Sixth Miss has a good heart, but she is a bit impulsive. If she can change that impulsive nature, it would be a good thing."

After all, she carried Cui Shi's bloodline and had a beautiful appearance. Although she was only seven, she was round and chubby, but her features were delicate, and her smile was like a crescent moon, making people feel happy just looking at her.

In the Great Zhou Dynasty, because there had once been a female emperor, the status of girls was not low. Before marriage, they were cherished in their natal families, growing up with great respect and affection.

Because Song Chuyi was Cui Shi's daughter and had lost her mother at a young age, she was even more favored by the old lady, spoiled to the point of being unruly—constantly jealous and causing trouble, annoying everyone.

The old lady pitied her but didn't want to raise a rude and reckless girl.

In such a noble and prosperous family, rules were paramount, and family traditions were more important than anything.

Thinking of the people Song Chuyi had offended recently, Old Lady Song squinted her eyes and said lightly, "Let's wait and see."

She hoped the sixth girl had truly become sensible, otherwise...