Chapter 105 - Old Accounts (Part 1)

Originally, it was thought that she was just secretly pregnant and that her virtue was somewhat lacking, but otherwise, she was considered a refined lady from a scholarly family. Who would have thought she harbored such malicious thoughts!

Old Lady Song thought of the years Song Chuyi had endured, and of Song Yan's increasingly silent demeanor in recent days, and suddenly felt a pang in her heart.

Then she suddenly remembered the letters Song Chuyi had sent back from Tongzhou in recent days, always reporting her safety. Even the letter sent the day after the attack said she was safe and sound, without mentioning anything about Li Shi. Was this because she feared Li Shi, or because she suspected that she would be biased towards Li Shi, so she waited until she had all the evidence before revealing the matter?

As she thought about it, a sense of disappointment and sadness welled up in her heart from not being trusted, but when she met Song Chuyi's eyes, she couldn't help but look away.

She didn't dare to think about how anxious and difficult Song Chuyi's life had been before she was taken into Ningde Courtyard. She didn't dare to think about whether she had longed for her mother, Cui Shi, and her own salvation whenever she was sick.

She must have thought about it, right? But because she was too disappointed, she always wore a faint smile, gritting her teeth and enduring everything, until Li Shi put the knife to her throat, and she couldn't bear it anymore and dared to fight back...

Old Lady Song closed her eyes and looked at Li Shi heavily.

"Take these people away," she waved her hand, and immediately someone dragged the group away. Then she looked at Li Shi, first snorting coldly, then slowly exhaling: "Although your plot failed, you indeed did wrong... Our Song family cannot keep a woman as immoral and depraved as you."

Was she going to be divorced?! Li Shi felt her blood turn cold in an instant, and she crawled a few steps to hug Old Lady Song's leg, crying heart-wrenchingly: "No! Old Lady, please don't tell the master, don't tell the master!"

She was somewhat incoherent, clinging to Old Lady Song and refusing to let go: "Besides if you divorce me, what will happen to Ning'er?! How will she hold her head up in the future... For so many years, even if I haven't achieved much, I've worked hard... I've done everything for the master and you, Old Lady!"

Sure enough, she started threatening to take her own life again, and Song Chuyi silently sneered.

Old Lady Song did hesitate a bit. Song Yi had already lost one wife, and if he divorced another, how would people in the capital view the Changning Marquisate...?

Just as she was about to speak, Lin Hai's wife hurriedly came in to report: "Old Lady, First Lady, the uncle and aunt from Jinzhong have arrived! The master and young master are entertaining them in the flower hall!"

The Cui family had come at this moment!

Old Lady Song stood up in shock, then suspiciously glanced at Song Chuyi.

The timing was too perfect, making her suspect that Song Chuyi had informed the Cui family, prompting them to come and seek justice for her.

She quickly ordered the First Lady to personally greet the Cui family's First Lady—female guests should always be entertained by her. Then she had Li Shi and the others moved to the Bisha kitchen.

The First Lady knew there was no time to waste, so she quickly tidied herself and went out to greet them. However, despite putting on what she thought was her most amiable smile, she was met with the cold, stern face of the Cui family's First Lady, who followed her into Ningde Courtyard.

The Cui family's First Lady came from an excellent background, being the legitimate daughter of Prince Zhuang and a titled princess. She was the only one in the world who could rightfully call the current emperor "uncle."

The First Lady dared not offend her, and even Old Lady Song showed her some respect. Despite seeing her cold demeanor, she maintained her composure and smiled, waving her over: "What's the matter? Our Thirteenth Lady has never put on such airs as a princess."

The Cui family's First Lady stepped forward, took Old Lady Song's hand, glanced around, and then let out a cold smile: "Old Lady Song, where is the Second Lady?"

She had indeed come to demand an explanation.

Old Lady Song exchanged a glance with the First Lady.

Before Old Lady Song could say anything, First Lady Cui sneered, "This time, Old Lady, I must apologize. Not only will I act as a princess, but I may also need to borrow my uncle's influence."

The current emperor was her uncle, who had always been very fond of his niece who had lost her father.

Old Lady Song was immediately alarmed and repeatedly asked, "Thirteenth Lady, what do you mean by this?"

"To be honest, Old Lady Song, Tingting is one of the only two legitimate daughters of the Cui family, always cherished like a precious gem." First Lady Cui's face remained stern. "Before she gave birth to Yan'er, I had specifically come to the capital to see her and had many imperial physicians examine her. They all said her pregnancy was excellent, and the fetus was healthy. But something still went wrong..."

Old Lady Song's face grew increasingly grim, and the First Lady awkwardly coughed a few times.

"Something happened to her, and my mother was heartbroken. I came to the capital with Yingshu to see her, but all the servants who attended to her had disappeared..." First Lady Cui glanced at Old Lady Song, a mocking smile tugging at her lips. "You told us at the time that they had made mistakes while serving Tingting and were dismissed. Do you remember, Old Lady?"

She had come to the capital to settle old scores, and Old Lady Song's face turned extremely ugly in an instant.

Li Shi had never let anyone have peace from then until now!

"Thirteenth Lady, what do you want to say?" Old Lady Song tapped her fingers on the table and sighed, "Just say it."

What is destined to come will eventually arrive. Li Shi's marriage into the family had always been disgraceful, and indeed, to cover up the truth about her pregnancy, she sent away Tingting's servants...

"Ying Shu has been searching for them for five whole years. Fortunately, a few months ago, we finally found one of the head maids who served Tingting back then, named Lianyi. I wonder if Old Lady and First Madam still remember her?" First Lady Cui's tone suddenly turned severe: "But the truth we learned from her is entirely different from what we've heard from you! Tell me, who should the Cui family believe?!"

The Cui family had actually spent five whole years investigating Cui Tingting's death! The First Lady suddenly realizes a problem—was it a coincidence that Li Shi's hired assassination and the events from years ago were both uncovered or had it all been premeditated from the start?

But whether it was a coincidence or the result of Song Chuyi's collaboration with the Cui family, there was no way Li Shi could escape a grim fate this time. The Cui family had spent five years investigating Cui Tingting's death, showing how much they valued her. Li Shi was bound to pay a terrible price.