Chapter 39 - Stone Break

Old Lady Su knew that entrusting such a girl to Old Lady Song couldn't be based solely on sentiment. After all, Chen Jinxin's situation was special, and she would be a burden to any family.

Therefore, since Old Lady Song was willing to take in and care for Chen Jinxin out of sentiment, Old Lady Su would give equal or even double the return to solidify this sentiment.

Old Lady Song sighed deeply, personally tucking Chen Jinxin in before walking out, holding Yushu's hand.

The once tender green willow trees that had just sprouted had fully unfurled, their long branches swaying in the wind, making the bougainvillea pots at the entrance of the east wing courtyard appear even more vibrant and bright.

But for the girl inside, there might never be spring again. She had not yet blossomed and had already withered from vibrant to desolate.

Whose fault was this? Old Lady Song thought of the Su family's eldest young master and eldest lady, feeling not only disdain but also a bit more vigilance.

She suddenly turned to Yushu, "I remember that yesterday, the maid beside Xiaoyi came to see you? And gave you a white jade bracelet with three twisted rings?"

According to Old Lady Song's nature, she would have waited a few more days, observing carefully before acting. Today, it was likely because she saw the Chen family's girl and was stimulated.

Yushu lowered her head, as always, respectful and gentle, "Yes, it gave me quite a scare. I asked her if it was the Sixth Miss who sent her, and she said yes, and that the item was also given by the Sixth Miss."

Stealing and hiding the master's property could be forgiven, but falsely accusing the master was utterly detestable!

A trace of disgust flashed across Old Lady Song's brow, and she felt a bit dissatisfied.

Li Shi seemed capable, gentle, and measured, so how did she assign such a money-grubbing, master-guessing fool to Song Chuyi?

After a moment of silence, Old Lady Song sneered and instructed Yushu, "Go see what Xiaoyi is doing and tell her to come have dinner with me tonight."

Yushu understood Old Lady Song's intention and, after sending her back to the main courtyard, went to the side hall.

Song Chuyi was in her room preparing New Year's gifts for her sisters. Seeing Yushu, she warmly invited her to sit.

Hongyu was winding thread, Luyi was drawing patterns on the veranda, and Qingtao was feeding the birds, but Huangyao was nowhere to be seen. After waiting for a while and still not seeing Huangyao, Yushu smiled and asked, "Why are these three so busy while Huangyao is taking it easy?"

Hongyu pursed her lips without speaking, and Luyi silently turned her head.

Yushu frowned in confusion.

Song Chuyi smiled and smoothed things over, "She's not taking it easy. She's probably delivering a plum vase to Mother. The bougainvillea in Grandmother's courtyard is blooming beautifully. I picked a few branches to put in vases, thinking of giving one to grandmother and Aunt to add some festivity."

Old Lady's room hadn't received it yet, and this Huangyao was already trying to curry favor.

Song Chuyi glanced outside, and Hongyu, understanding, quietly opened Nanny Wang's door under the pretext of fetching hot water.

Nanny Wang was packing to go home for the New Year—she had taken half a month's leave from Lady Li to visit her newborn grandson.

Hongyu feigned surprise, "Nanny, are you going home?"

Nanny Wang had only informed Lady Li and not Song Chuyi, so she nodded uncomfortably, "There are some matters at home, so I have to go back for a few days."

Her relationship with Hongyu and Luyi had always been bad, like a clear dividing line.

Hongyu didn't bother with pleasantries, frowning, "Do you know where Huangyao went? Sister Yushu is waiting for her in our Miss's room and hasn't seen her all afternoon."

Yushu?

Nanny Wang's eyes widened, suddenly recalling Huangyao's sneaky request for a bracelet yesterday. Huangyao had said she made a serious mistake and needed to smooth things over with Yushu...

It seemed Yushu was here because of this, but Huangyao had gone to Lady Li's place and wouldn't be back anytime soon. Nanny Wang, feeling a headache, thought for a moment and smiled, "In that case, I'll go with Miss Hongyu. That girl is probably stuck in the kitchen, all for our Miss's sake."

Song Chuyi had guessed correctly! Hongyu was slightly surprised. Song Chuyi had instructed them before returning to the mansion that if Yushu came today, they should go directly to Nanny Wang, who would cover for Huangyao.

Though surprised, Hongyu maintained her composure and indifferently went inside.

Nanny Wang gritted her teeth, packed her bundle, and after waiting a while without seeing Huangyao, reluctantly went to the main room. Yushu greeted her without making things difficult.

Nanny Wang didn't dare put on airs in front of Yushu, smiling and greeting her, "Hello, Sister Yushu," and continued, "That girl Huangyao is so loyal. She couldn't sit still after returning to the mansion and went to the kitchen to watch over the snow pear soup for Sixth Miss."

Yushu's expression changed slowly. Sixth Miss had said Huangyao went to Second Lady's room to deliver a vase, but Nanny Wang said she was worried about Song Chuyi and went to the kitchen.

She sneered inwardly, growing suspicious, and stared at Nanny Wang, her gaze suddenly sharp—Nanny Wang was wearing a gold and jade hairpin that Old Lady had specially ordered for the girls from the Treasure Pavilion last year. But now it was on a nanny's head!

Recalling Huangyao's casual attitude when giving such an expensive bracelet yesterday, Yushu felt a surge of anger.

But she held back, exchanged a few pleasantries with Nanny Wang, and then stood up to bid farewell to Song Chuyi, "Old Lady asked you to have dinner with her tonight. I'll come to get you later."

Song Chuyi smiled, taking a pouch from Luyi and handing it to Yushu, "I embroidered this. Consider it a New Year's gift for you."

The pouch was embroidered with double fish playing with lotus using gold and green thread, the craftsmanship not at all immature. Yushu smiled and sighed, glancing at Nanny Wang before leaving.

After Yushu left, Nanny Wang told Song Chuyi about her half-month leave.

Song Chuyi glanced at the gold and jade hairpin on her head and smiled warmly, "Since Mother agreed, you should go. I heard you have a lovely new grandson. Congratulations, Nanny."

Since her illness, Sixth Miss had become more articulate. Nanny Wang felt pleased, thanked Song Chuyi, and left. 

After she was gone, Luyi couldn't help but frown and spit on the ground, "Such a person is really annoying!"