Chapter 26

Song Chengru was, after all, a seasoned person who had weathered many storms. He was only shocked for a moment, just long enough to brew a cup of tea, before he had pieced together the entire story.

"Generally, a young girl your age would take a long time to recover from such a nightmare. There are many who go mad like the Ninth Miss of the Duke of Cheng. Your resolve is so strong that it makes your grandfather fearful." 

He stared at Song Chuyi, not missing a single movement of hers, and suddenly raised his voice to scold, "Could it be that you've been possessed?!"

People in the Great Zhou had some belief in ghosts and gods, and there were often Taoist nuns coming and going in the inner chambers.

With a thud, Song Chuyi knelt down again, looking up at Song Chengru, her voice clear and bright, completely unshaken by his anger: "I was scared at first... I lay in bed for more than half a month, having the same dream every day. Eventually, I became extremely frightened and finally mustered the courage to tell grandmother."

As she spoke, she added, "Grandfather, I dream the same dream every day, a long and terrifying one. I was immersed in it, experiencing my own fate in the dream—joy, worry, despair—as if I had lived an entire life. Once I finished being scared and sad, I found that I had no more emotions left to use..."

Song Chengru understood this feeling.

It was somewhat of a good thing. He reached out to help Song Chuyi up, his tone finally becoming gentler: "Then why didn't you go to your parents first but instead came to your grandmother?"

Li Shi treated Song Chuyi with almost doting affection. Even Song Chengru, who had previously been skeptical of her intentions, could not help but gradually change his mind.

Logically speaking, if Song Chuyi truly felt something was wrong, she should have spoken to Li Shi first, after all, their relationship was like that of a real mother and daughter.

Song Chuyi's thick, curled eyelashes lowered, concealing the expression in her eyes, her tone flat: "I just feel that... people like grandmother and grandfather wouldn't think I've lost my mind and am talking nonsense. If I tell my mother, she wouldn't be able to help me solve it, and it would only add to her worries."

Her words were measured, with clear logic. Indeed, she seemed like a woman who had been the wife of a duke for over twenty years.

The gloom in Song Chengru's heart dissipated a little. He sighed and asked, "So do you know the cause of your elder brother's death in your dream?"

Instead of answering Song Chengru's question, Song Chuyi opened her mouth to ask, "Grandfather, is it true that this year in the Northwest military camp, there's been a disturbance over military salaries, claiming that someone has embezzled military supplies?"

This time, Song Chengru was truly taken aback.

Old Lady Song also straightened her back with a serious expression, turning her head to see how Song Chengru would respond.

Song Chuyi lowered her head again, her voice lowered a few notches: "At first, everyone thought my brother's death was an accident. Later, it was found to be related to the military salaries in the Northwest."

Song Chengru's gaze darkened, and there was no longer a trace of doubt. Upon hearing this, he said, "Continue."

"In my dream, my brother was assassinated while surveying the terrain with several other members of the Yulin Guard. The killer was later captured and confessed that he was a deserter from the Northwest—they claimed that grandfather colluded with the Northwest Governor Zhang Tianhe to embezzle military salaries, which led them to target my brother." 

Song Chuyi glanced at Song Chengru before continuing, "Later, the Emperor ordered the Minister of Justice to work together with the Dali Temple to investigate this case. The assassin indeed provided a letter bearing your seal."

Someone was coming directly for the Song family!

Old Lady Song gasped, exclaiming, "Old Master!"

Song Chengru's expression was also very grim. He nodded at Old Lady Song to reassure her, then looked at Song Chuyi and asked, "What happened next?"

"The case alarmed the Emperor, who ordered a joint investigation by the three departments and requested the Crown Prince to supervise it. Later..."

"What happened later?" Old Lady Song asked, seeing her pause, her heart hanging in her throat, almost ready to leap out.

Song Chuyi took a deep breath: "Later, the Crown Prince was assassinated on his way to Shuntian Prefecture..."

Song Chengru finally lost his color and crushed a cup.

He stood up nervously and began to pace around the room.

It could not possibly be a coincidence; someone was indeed targeting the Song family.

Just as Song Chengru was about to ask again, Nanny Huang came to report: "Old Master, Old Madam, several ladies have arrived outside... The Young Master has also sent word that he and the Second Master, Third Master, and Fifth Master will be coming a bit later."

The several masters probably heard that the Old Master was present and came to pay their respects.

This topic had to come to an end.

Old Lady Song immediately forced a smile, pulling Song Chuyi into her embrace, saying, "Quick, let them in!"

Then she asked Song Chengru, "Will you have your meal here, or shall we set a table for you and the others in the outer hall?"

As she spoke, the First Lady had already led several of her sisters-in-law into the room, hurriedly greeting Old Lady Song.

Old Lady Song sat still and said, "Since everyone is here, we might as well eat here. It's more convenient. We're all family, so there's no need for any formalities. Let's just treat it like a small celebration."

Hearing this, the First Lady quickly got up and smiled, "Since Mother has said so, I'll go and arrange it now. We just received a batch of golden pheasants from the estate a few days ago. I heard they're delicious when stewed with mushrooms, and there's not a trace of fat."

She was always meticulous in her work, and Old Lady Song nodded upon hearing this.

After a moment's thought, she added, "Tell Jue's wife to bring the young ladies over. Since we're celebrating a small occasion, the whole family should gather."

The Young Master's wife quickly agreed and left.

Li Shi looked at Song Chuyi, who was leaning against Old Lady Song, and smiled, "Chuyi just arrived today. Mother thought and thought and didn't know what to send you." Saying this, she took a golden-decorated box from Nanny Yu's hands: "Inside is a rectangular inkstone, which was part of my dowry given to me by your maternal grandfather. I'll just give it to you."

Song Chuyi hurriedly thanked her, stepped forward to accept it, and handed it to Huangyao beside her.

Unexpectedly, as it was being handed over, it either slipped from Huang Yao's grasp or Song Chuyi withdrew her hand too quickly, and the box fell to the ground with a thud. The inkstone rolled a few times on the patterned tiles and shattered into several pieces.

Everyone was stunned.

Huangyao appeared extremely shocked and aggrieved, staring at Song Chuyi in disbelief, trembling as she knelt down and cried out in panic for mercy.

Song Chengru and Old Lady Song had already been in a bad mood after hearing Huangyao's words, and with her sudden outburst of tears, their faces became even darker.

"Why are you crying?!" Old Lady Song frowned, "How could you not even handle such a small matter?"

It was fine if it was mishandled, but she looked as if she was deeply wronged.

Old Lady Song was somewhat displeased.