Chapter Two - Ren

The blonde girl began to leave with the redheaded boy, joined by another. He wore a suit of all black with - was he trying to look like a cat? His face was covered in purple paint. I followed quietly. My white kimono was dragging along the ground, and it was only a matter of time before they noticed me. I watched them with curious eyes as they spun around.

"You-" the blonde girl recognized me. "You should go home," she sneered. I tilted my head at her.

"Kawa doesn't have a home," I told her. She looked guilty for a moment. Gaara winced from his position, being carried by both his siblings.

"I... Am sorry for destroying it," he said. I tilted my head further.

"Kawa doesn't understand your apology, Gaara-san. Gaara-san did not destroy Kawa's home. Kawa has had no home," I told them. They all looked at me, the painted boy sighing.

"Brat, that doesn't mean you can follow us," he tried to get me to leave. He looked exhausted. I assumed he had gotten into a fight with someone.

"Kawa is bored. Kawa follows," I said stubbornly.

The blonde girl sighed and directed Gaara to sit down against a tree before turning to me again. "Kawa, you can't-"

"Kawa's name is not Kawa," I informed her. "Kawa is only what Kawa calls himself. Kawa wants to know big sister's name, and painted boy's name."

"Your name isn't Kawa?" She looked confused. "My name is Temari, and he's-"

"Kankuro," the named boy crossed his arms. I nodded to all of them and smiled stiffly. I was unaccustomed to a human face still, so they looked unnerved by the action. "We want to know what your -"

"Kawa doesn't have a name," I interrupted, predicting the rest of the sentence. Kankuro twitched at my rudeness. I did that often. If I know where the sentence is going, I will interrupt someone.

"Then we'll just call you Kaw-" Temari began.

"No," I rejected. "Kawa doesn't like being called Kawa."

"Then why do you use it to speak in third person?" Kankuro sounded exasperated. I wondered if they were just humoring me.

"Mother used to call Kawa as such. Mother is dead. Kawa doesn't like nickname Kawa. Kawa has no other name," I told them. They looked at me with pity. Mother has been dead for more than a hundred years. I no longer feel sadness, but I dislike the name Kawa.

"Then what do you want to be called?" Temari sounded sad, but slightly irritated with me.

I squeaked at her direct question, as I didn't have an answer. This time, she was more patient with me as I made odd noises. Her companions, however, seemed perturbed by them. Maybe they were siblings? They smell alike. I think they're siblings.

"Kawa doesn't know," I replied. Temari scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Then we'll come up with something," she sighed. "But you can't come with us. We live in a desert," I crinkled my nose at that.

"Kawa needs water," I said. "Kawa will not follow you to desert. Kawa will accompany you until you get near desert. Then Kawa will wait there for visits," Temari widened her eyes at me. I continued. "Kawa likes Temari-nee-san."

"You can't stay there! It's dangerous for a little boy to be somewhere all alone!" Temari protested.

"If there is river, Kawa can live there," I smiled at her.
"Teastain," Kankuro said suddenly. I looked at him. "Your hair looks like the stain left by tea. Teastain."

"You can't call a boy Teastain!" Temari hissed. "Kankuro, you have no manners!"

"Teastain," I whispered. Temari turned to me in horror.