Chapter Seven - Evolution

I returned to the Land of Water, intent on finding out whether or not I won against Kanta. The area where we battled became poisonous land; grass was burned out, the water bubbled and sickly gas coated the area. The humans who guided me there could not proceed, but let me go forward alone. My bare feet crunched the dead grass, and I could see I had at least injured Kanta. His blood stained some places, an odd purple leaving a trail.

I followed it.

"Aito," he whispered hoarsely when I found him curled in a tree. I felt pity for my friend. He wasn't far from the battle. It appeared my attack had heavily injured him, and he didn't have the luck of a contractor to pull him to safety.

"Kanta, you should rest now," I told him flatly. I held back my emotion. He chose this, I told myself. I gave him a chance. "You lived long. You can rest now, Kanta. Everyone's waiting for you in heaven," I smiled tightly. His eyelids fluttered.

"Yeah," his voice cracked. "Everyone." My heart sunk. "Live, Aito. Spread the fear of Yokai once more. Break the Sage's curse. Return the natural order," he pleaded.

"Perhaps Yokai are meant to stay extinct," I mused. "All we do is sow chaos. Humans have changed now, evolved. New Yokai would have no companions. A new world order would be established. What place would I have there?"

"Emperor," he grinned widely. "Emperor Aito, or whatever name you go by now."

"Ren," I told him. "I'm Ren now."

"Do you still act all cutesy?" He asked, and I could see him trying to hang on. My friend was dying. He had returned to me, but now he was leaving. Tears burned my eyes.

"Ren doesn't understand what you mean by cutesy!" I joked, trying to keep my voice even. "Ren will be okay, Kanta. Ren can be alone. Ren will miss you very very much, but Ren will live on. Maybe Ren will become emperor!" I kept talking, hoping I wouldn't have to hear him say goodbye.

Kanta laughed. It was hoarse and pained, and I felt guilt. Did I have to throw all of my strength at him? Did I have to kill him like this? He's back now! He's not tainted anymore! I don't want him to leave, I don't want to be alone...

"Ren," he tested the name. "Ren, I hope when you come to heaven, you will tell me all about your adventurers as emperor. Gather a hundred demons and lead a night parade, and cause fear!" He cheered.

"... Ren will, Kanta," I promised. I didn't know if I would keep the promise. But I made the promise. Even if I didn't fulfill it, he would have to yell at me about it in heaven, not now. He smiled one last time before he closed his eyes.

I watched as his body was there for a moment before fading into light. He hovered for a moment before shooting upwards into the sky.

I returned to Tsunade to report what had happened, and she accepted the result. The danger was gone, and my mission was a success.

After I returned, Tsunade gave me easy chores that she called "D ranks." I liked helping humans, it turned out. Occasionally I would prank them, but I always fulfilled my missions. I would go along with Genin teams, too, if there seemed to be too much work for just three children.

My first C rank was given without hesitation. I was to assist a Genin team with hunting down bandits. It was dangerous, but not that dangerous, since there wouldn't be any enemy ninjas. I was to be backup and allow the children to learn.

So that lead to me standing next to a child known as Aburame Shino. Well, more like hiding behind. His teammate, Inuzuka Kiba, was overzealous, and quite furious that I would be joining them. Technically, I wasn't even a ninja. I had no rank officially. Tsunade was thinking of giving me some kind of official title soon, but only after I had fully adjusted to the times.