Chapter Four - Darkness

I let my feet swing from the chair I was placed on. The crystal glinted off my ankle, as I moved the location of the cord continuously until I was satisfied with it on my ankle. I didn't like it on my neck, as it made me feel like a slave. No, this was not slavery. It was a contract.

Tsunade was working beside me, looking through papers with disgust and annoyance. I heard occasional murmurs of how she should never have accepted.

"Kage-nee-sama," I suddenly spoke for the first time since the contract. She looked up slowly, placing her paper down. "You can order me to do things, you know."

"That wouldn't feel right," she said. "You're a kid." I blinked at her before laughing.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," I grinned. "I'm much, much older than you think. At least, much older than yourself. I have seen centuries pass. If it helps, I had no idea there was a village here when I woke up. When I went to sleep, humans were just beginning to settle. There wasn't one anywhere near here at first." She stared at me, the shock of my very existence having settled.

She went back to her papers without another word. I kept swinging my feet. People passed all around me. I payed some attention. A Genin - what they call novice shinobi - had left the village. There would be a pursuit. A group was assembled before Tsunade, and I let my attention flutter in and out.

"Ren, you will be joining them." I looked up, smiling.

"Ren will do his best for Kage-nee-sama!" I cheered, hopping out of my chair. The blonde haired boy realized who I was and glared.

"Oi, grandma, we can't have this kid join us! He'll only slow us down! Besides he's the one who - the one..." He trailed off, too angry to continue.

"Ren will be more of an asset than an issue, I think," she said, looking me over. I bowed deeply to her.

"Your wish is my command, my lady," I smile. I clap my hands. "Ren would like to know when Ren and friends are going on the mission! Now, yes?" They all nodded, perturbed by my changing behavior. The one known as Naruto stayed quiet.

We were at the gates, and I was reaching for this Sasuke's presence since we had paused.

"Promise me," a pink-haired girl sobbed. "Promise me you'll bring him back to me!"

Naruto grinned at her. "Of course!"

I blinked as I established a trace on his presence. I followed the lead of the group, and stayed with Naruto as members of the party broke off to commence battle. Seeing as I couldn't clone myself, I allowed myself to move onwards. The command was to capture, not protect these humans.

Naruto and I traveled quickly and in silence. We reached Sasuke eventually, just the two of us. The rest were fighting for their lives.

Naruto and Sasuke engaged in a very long, tedious battle as I sat off to the side, hiding my presence entirely. They easily forgot me and Sasuke eventually emerged the victor. As he prepared to disappear into the forest, I paused in front of him. I grinned. And I tackled him playfully.

He cursed and tried to pull me off him, but I bit the strange mark on his neck. He howled in pain, likely because my teeth were very sharp. I released him, blood dripping from my mouth. I grinned, and he glared at me in anger.

"Ren has been commanded to bring you to Kage-nee-sama. Ren will abide by his master's wish!" I told him. "Ren has marked you. Now you can never escape Ren, and Ren will always be able to find you," I grinned darkly. "Now, does Ren need to subdue this child, or will this child come with Ren peacefully?"

"Hah, as if you could stop me," he gloated. "I'm strong." My face became unamused.

"Ren is, without a doubt, stronger than you." I flicked his forehead and he froze as the binding magic took effect. I lifted him effortlessly before noticing the grey haired shinobi standing over Naruto. I searched for his name. Kakashi Hatake. I grinned at him, still aware of the blood dripping down my chin. I walked over to him as Sasuke grunted in his binds in my arms.