Chapter Six - Trust

I sat on my chair, not even swinging my feet. My gaze and mood were dark, and Tsunade kept sending me worried glances. Bandages were wrapped around me. Despite not being one of them, human medicine was helpful at times for my recovery. Especially with their ability to harness chakra.

Tsunade was a truly remarkable human. It made me glad to have met her, as even looking at her inspired me from her sheer charisma in her gaze.

Even humans can be great, I finally realize.

Tsunade certainly wasn't my first contract. I certainly didn't intend to uphold my end of the bargain. The contract was, in fact, incomplete. I had not given her my name. She had no means to control me. She could call me to her and I would appear, but that was by choice. I could approve or deny her orders.

They weren't orders.

Initially I had planned to take advantage of her for my own survival after she had displayed the true ugliness of humanity, but she had consistently impressed me with her ability to handle situations. Though occasionally she slacked off, she... I liked her. As a person. She was a good person. Is. Is a good person.

"Ren, you seem to be worried about something," she eventually broke the silence, her pen paused above her papers.

"I didn't report what happened," I said, something that both of us knew. She placed the pen on the desk and folded her hands together. Her full attention was on me now.

"Then report," she said simply.

"The Yokai in question was one of my kind, a river otter," I began. She nodded slowly as I talked, the information being absorbed quickly. "He was Kanta, an old friend of mine. Yokai, when left to negative emotions for too long, become absorbed in them. They fall into a type of ... darkness. The darkness empowers them because they have nothing left to lose. When they fight, they do not hold back, unless they are playing with their prey."
"Did you win this fight?" She asked me. I bit my lip nervously, holding back my stuttering.

"I don't know," I admitted softly. "I used all of my magic - every bit of it! - but I don't know, there was so much blood, it hurt so much, and I was so sad, and it was Kanta - oh, why did Kanta?-" I broke off into a sob, curling in on myself. It took me a moment to speak again. "If you hadn't called upon me, I would be dead, Lady Tsunade," I told her. Her eyes widened a fraction. I stood slowly, gritting my teeth when the movement disturbed my shoulder.

"Mission status, unconfirmed. You will have to investigate, then. I don't trust my ninja with Yokai," she sighed, her hands twisting together as she thought. I placed my hand on her desk, face completely composed and serious.

"Lady Tsunade, there is something I must confess about our contract," I began. My breath caught and I thought for a moment I wouldn't be able to tell her, but the words came upon seeing the interest on her face. "It is incomplete. Your orders are not truly orders. I can leave this whenever I wish. Until I tell you my true name, you cannot control me."

Her eyes narrowed. "You lied to me."

I nodded, facing her stare head on. No more lies to this great human. "I intended to use you to secure a foothold for myself. I regret this. You have proved your greatness to me, and I will tell you my true name." She waited, expectant. I hesitated. "I... Don't want to say it out loud. If the wrong people hear, they can use me. May I whisper it, my lady?"

She eventually agreed.

And the contract was completed.

"Aito, you are bound to my service. Now and forever."

Tsunade was my first true contract. Tsunade was my last contract. Tsunade was my only contract.

And truly, she was an impressive human. I doubt I'd ever forget her.

AN: Just a quick transition chapter that I wrote in like 10-20 minutes. Somewhat edited.