Chapter 5 - The Great Dragon

Merlin's POV

I'm sitting in the dining hall the next morning, fiddling with a wooden spoon on the table. I haven't touched my bowl of stew yet. I can't think about food. My mind is on what the strange voice said last night. I must go to Camelot... and the fate of the kingdom? How can I do anything? I'm just a warlock! If anyone can do anything of that caliber it's my father.

"Merlin? Are you alright?" I hear Lancelot ask. Always the caring one.

I look up at him and sigh. "I'm alright," I respond, turning my attention back to the spoon.

"You don't look 'alright'. Your eyes are bloodshot and have bags under them. Did you sleep last night?"

"Yes, just... nightmares."

"Perhaps you should get a sleeping draft from Gaius?"

"No, it's fine. It'll pass."

"Mer-"

"I'm full. You can have the rest of my food Gwaine." I push the bowl in front of him.

He looks at me. "Thanks! I was hoping for seconds!" Gwaine exclaims gleefully. He starts slurping it down without hesitation.

I get up from my spot at the table, tossing my spoon on the tabletop before leaving the pavilion.

I skirt past the hustle and bustle of the town and make my way to the training field. Perhaps that will calm me down. Some time with a sword in my hand should help.

I reach the training ground. A few people are already there, hacking away at the dummies despite there being no training scheduled for today. They're committed. There is no need for fighters who don't try their best.

A few of the fighters stop to bow when I pass. I simply smile and wave them off. I dress myself in my armour before I grab my sword from the rack and pull it from its sheath, watching the suns rays slide across its surface. I spin it once in my hand before heading towards a training dummy. I ready myself in front of the straw target. I take in a deep breath and begin hacking away. I beat down the armour on the dummy until it's dented beyond repair. I catch a few onlookers watch with worry as I madly slash at the metal. I didn't care. I need the thrill of fighting to take my mind off things.

I finally come to a stop when my arm becomes sore. My chest heaves up and down at a frightening pace. Half the straw from the dummy has become mixed in with the grass while the armour hangs precariously on its body. I stab Excalibur into the grass and storm off into the palace, frustrated that it hadn't helped as I had hoped. It was... invigorating. I do feel somewhat refreshed but other then that the problems are still floating about in my mind like a bee to a flower.

I see from the corner of my eye an attendant grab my sword and bring it back to its place on the rack. A few of my friends look on with curiosity and worry at the dismembered dummy. I ignore them all and head back into my chambers. I slam the door and throw my armour off onto the table. I change out of my sweat stained clothes in favour of a fresh pair.

When I finish changing I head out towards the waterfall. Hopefully that will clear my head and maybe Arthur will be there. He always has that way of making me smile.

I arrive only to find that Arthur isn't present. I sigh. I am early today. He'll show up later.

I sit down by the pool, facing the waterfall. I let the cascading falls place me into a trance. I let it mesmerize me with its hypnotizing beauty as it washes away my worries. I take a deep breath of fresh air, smelling the scent of blooming flowers. I sit silently in the clearing for awhile, basking in the sun as I listen to the water crash into the lake and the birds sing as they fly by overhead.