Chapter 16 - The Fate of the Pendragon's

Arthur's POV

I open my eyes slowly. My eyelids feel heavy and drowsiness continues to cloud my mind. Everything seems to be a huge blur in my vision. I try to get up only to feel a hand immediately rest against my back, helping me move into a sitting position. I groan and rub my head. When the blurriness subsides I make out the faces of Leon, Elyan, Percival, and a few other worried knights. I glance around to find I'm lying on my father's bed with Merlin no where in sight.

"Are you feeling better sire?" Leon asks, worry laced in his voice.

"I'm fine. What happened?" I ask, throwing my legs over the side of the bed.

"We came in here to find you unconscious in Merlin's arms. He said you were knocked out and told us to watch you until you woke."

"Where is he then?"

"He said he had something to do and took off."

I scowl. He knocked me out! I'm going to strangle him when I get the chance. I place my feet on the ground and try to stand only to feel lightheaded instantly. I collapse back onto the bed. My Knights immediately surge forward with worry.

"Are you alright my lord?" Elyan asks.

"I said I'm fine. Just... give me a minute." I take a few deep breaths before turning back to Leon. "Have you found my father yet?"

Leon shakes his head. "Unfortunately no. Though we haven't been able to search the castle throughly," he explains.

"Where have you checked?"

"The armoury and his chambers. As we said, we haven't gotten the chance to search properly."

"Alright." I get to my feet, this time I'm able to push aside the dizziness. "We'll head to the council chambers first. Check every room on our way there."

The knights nod in understanding and we all head out of the hall. I make sure Merlin's sword is sheathed comfortably into my belt as I run down the hall.

-----

Merlin's POV

I make my way down quickly to the dungeon. Luckily, with all the commotion with the Knights of Medhir, there aren't many guards patrolling the halls. I find my way down the staircase that heads to where the dragon resides. I open the wooden door and enter the cavern. Even now, it still takes my breath away. I can hardly believe such a large cave can be underneath the palace of Camelot.

Kilgharrah soon appears. Swooping down to perch atop the large rock directly in front of me. He smiles when he sees the sword in my belt. A certain anticipation graces his face as he waits for me to move.

"If I let you go," I say, my voice echoing off the walls, "will you honour your word? About leaving things alone unless I call on you?"

"Of course young warlock. A dragon does not back away from a promise."

I nod and head down the stone steps that lead towards the large rock Kilgharrah rests upon. I see the large chains shackled around the dragons hind leg when I approach. The chains are large. Each link almost the size of my head. I can hardly believe the sword can cut through them.

I lift the blade over my head but stop before I bring it down. A new thought crosses me head and I lower the sword. I turn to Kilgharrah who stares at me with impatience. "What are you doing Merlin? Why aren't you honouring your side of the deal?"

"Before I let you go, can you tell me more? About my destiny. About what you spoke of before. The tragedy. The fate of the kingdom. About why I shouldn't save Uther?"