Chapter 7 - Bandits, Bandits Everywhere

Merlin's POV

I shiver as a sudden breeze blows by. I pull my cape more tightly around me. I try and keep warm, only to have the wind rip the cape from my grasp, leaving it billowing behind me. I sigh and shiver again at the gust of cold. The leaves dance down around me, all in bright colours of red, yellow, and orange. The signs of autumn.

My stallion trudges on through the forest, it's hooves crunching down on the leaves that now cover the path. I have my crossbow slung over my shoulder, a quiver full of arrows by my saddle. I glance around at the number of bushes that surround my friends and I. We're out on a hunt, despite my protests, in hopes of finding some fresh game before winter rolls in.

"There are no animals today at all!" I hear Gwaine complain behind me.

"Now now. It's only late afternoon. We still have time," Morgana chides.

"Yes, but you would expect to see at least a rabbit by now!"

"Maybe you scared them off with your odour of mead." Mordred teases with a chuckle. I can hear Lancelot hide a snicker as well.

I frown. Gwaine's right. Where have all the animals gone? I've hunted here often with my father or with friends. This place used to be filled with them. Rabbits, squirrels, deer, any forest animal you can name could be found within a few hours at least. Why not today? I scan the forest around us again. My eyes drift to the top of a ridge causing them to widen slowly.

"I don't smell that bad! I bathe."

"Shhh," I shush Gwaine, raising a finger to my lips while keeping my eyes trained above a ridge.

"Did he just shush me?!"

"You are rather noisy Sir Knight," Morgana says with a smirk.

"Shh," I shush them again.

"Are you-" Lancelot clasps a hand over Morgana's mouth, silencing her. He points up to the ridge to reveal a little over a dozen men lined up on its edge, weapons in hand.

I glare up at them and whisper a spell, causing the ridge to collapse under their feet. They tumble down, save for a few of the men who managed to scramble out of the way. I glare angrily at the intruders, examining them throughly. They all wore dirty clothes with pieces of armour strapped on. A few had helmets while others didn't. Judging by their clothes... these are bandits. They must have scared away all the animals. How long have they followed us for?

I sling the crossbow off my shoulders and hang it with my satchels. I pull Excalibur from its sheathe. I point the blade towards the closest man. "Who are you? What do you want?" I ask, fire burning in my eyes.

The man jumps a little but regains his composure quickly. An arrow suddenly shoots out from atop the ridge, piercing itself in the body of my horse who rears up before toppling over on the ground, bringing me down with it. I cough, wiping the leaves and dirt from my face. I throw my cape off my shoulders, ditching it by my horse.

I stand in time to see everyone engage in battle. Lancelot and Gwaine fight back to back, defeating bandits with practised grace. Mordred and Morgana chant spells at the few bandits who shoot at us from atop the ridge, killing them easily.

I grab my sword and plunge it backwards into a man who tried to come up behind me. I turn back and give him a smile before pulling it out. The man falls backwards, a stunned expression permanently painted on his face.