14 | What's meant to be

The next 10 minutes of my life happened so fast.

SWITCH.

     I felt myself launch at Jerome and all of the nigga came out of me. I was out for blood and I wouldn't stop until I got it. We wrestled and tussled for a few seconds before drawing a crowd. Everything was such a blur. I heard car tires screeching and familiar voices crowding around me. "Parker hurry!" I heard someone yell. I lifted Jerome's head off the ground under my body and punched him straight in his nose making him bounce back and his head on the concrete. In seconds I was yanked off of him and thrown to the side, Looney from across the way carried out of the mess and held me back. Parker and Nino went to work on Jerome. I hadn't even noticed them coming back.

"Let me go Looney" I spat out blood and wiped my mouth, as I paced in my little box.

"Nah Chase, you know I can't do that" he said sternly. I sucked my teeth and cursed myself.

Damn Chase. How could you be so damn stupid. The nigga was right in my face and I ain't even notice. I was so caught up in grief and depression, I couldn't see what was happening. Maybe I should've killed Park that night. No, I shouldn't have. Parker was everything to me. Yet because of one thing I failed to do, my baby brother was now resting in heaven. Ultimately I'm responsible. I heard police sirens and saw niggas fleeing down the street. Parker was still busting Jerome's face in and not before long he laid there lifeless. Good ridens.

I jogged back over to Parker and Nino as the police arrived on the scene. I reached for Park's hands trying to calm him down.

"Baby stop, that's it, he's gone" I spoke to him.

The officers pulled guns on Parker and Nino and told me to back away. "No! They ain't did shit but save my life. I ain't going nowhere!"

"Baby, back up" Parker said raising his hands in defeat and looking to me.

I did as told and backed away slowly, only far enough to give them space, close enough to watch. Britt stood on Parker's porch, and watched. The block was so quiet we could hear her sobs by my house. Nino raised his hands as well and the officers approached them.

"You are under arrest. Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law.." the words hit home as they placed cuffs on the two. My fucking family.

"Baby, they can't do this right? You ain't do shit. Parker?!"

"Baby get that money in that bag, call Marcell, bail us out. Hold it down till I get out. I love you baby" he kissed me before being shoved into the back of the police car. A tear fell and I wiped it swiftly and ran to be with Britt.

She was so emotional already, and now the love of her life was being taken away. She had never expierenced a pain like this, and it hit her hard. "Chassia.. what now?? What now?!"

"Now we get our shit together and get them out" I watched as they checked Jerome's pulse. I heard an EMT yell he was alive and I shook my head. Damn, I wish he was dead. I took Britt in the house as the police cars drove off and the sirens drifted in the distance.

***

The Next Morning

I stood next to the black Escalade that Cell had sent for us to pick up Parker in. I waited anxiously for the pair to be released. Since Jerome was still alive they got away with aggravated assault charges and disturbing the peace. At least they weren't serving time. Parker came through the door first and I ran across the parking lot to greet him.

I jumped into his arms and kissed him passionately. "I missed you like hell Chase."

"I know you did." We both laughed and he put me down, I hugged Nino and told him Britt was fine. It eased his nerves but he still wanted to see her. She wanted to see him too but had a doctor's appointment she couldn't miss.

"Happy Birthday baby girl!!" Parker yelled in my face while grabbing me up in his arms and kissing me wildly. I smiled big and laughed. I had almost forgot I had a birthday today. So much shit had happened, it slipped my mind.

"Thank you baby"

"Happy birthday sis" Nino punched my shoulder and I hit him back.

"Thanks big head.. come on, we got shit to do." I told them.

Little did they know I had done big shit over night. When I called Cell he was furious because he had no one to be in charge of the moves to be made that night, which was crucial, it was the first of the month. Money needed to be made. I volunteered in Park's absence and made the moves. I was respected as Parker's girl, and I knew I could handle anything that came our way. I just didn't know how Park would feel about me jumping in the game like that.

We got in the car and I told the driver where to take us. He began driving and I sighed deeply.

"Park, you know how you told me to call Cell?"

"Yeah, he got us straight. Thanks baby" he kissed my cheek and went back to his iPhone 6.

"That's not all.. you know last night was the 31st.. it was decision day and .. and uh.."

"Shit I forgot about decision day. Fuck! He pissed ain't he?"

"No baby no.. I uhh... I stepped in and handled it for you"

The car seemed to pause. "You did what?!.. Chassia you crazy? Your ass can't be in these streets like that. You ain't ready for that. You may have been able to get respect from the hood, but this game ain't no joke. Whose idea was this??"

He was clearly furious. I knew it would send him over but I made double of what was projected for the month. He could only be but so pissed off with me.

"It was my idea Parker.. I was trynna help"

"Help me by keeping your ass home. Staying safe. Keeping out these streets. Last thing I need is some shit to happen to you, understand me? You my whole life Chase, and it ain't no damn well in hell ima loose you to this shit.. not again" he spoke with passion, and pulled me closer to him in the back seat.

"I understand baby, I do."

Parker wanted me safe and sound. I respected that.

"Good.. now let's get turnt. We got a birthday to celebrate!"

The whole mood in the car shifted and laughter filled the air. This was gonna be a good year.

****

COMMENT & VOTE!