02. MORNINGS

Zoë. 🃏

The morning after a break up was usually always the worst part to me. Probably because of the lack of sleep you get the night before, thinking about what happened.

Probably because you didn't get to wake up to them or wake up to messages from them. Or maybe because you have to come to terms with it and fix yourself up.

Which is what I should be doing right now considering my appearance.

My makeup was everywhere and my hair was chaotic. I had slept in the same clothes, I was too sad to change which I know is a dumb excuse.

The thing that was made this morning different was that I did wake up to texts from Bruce. But when I saw that they were sent two hours after our breakup and how they were typed, I knew he was just drunk.

'Zoë you looked so sexy tonight'

'Come back home to me.'

'I miss you baby'

I could feel another tear slide down my cheek as I deleted them and blocked his number. It hurt, it hurt so much and I just wanted to yell at him.

I missed him, but I know he truly didn't miss me. I'm sure I didn't love him though, I hadn't been with him long enough to do so.

But I did have feelings, strong ones. Feelings that he just tossed aside as he slept with another women. Feelings that he didn't give a fuck about when he was fucking someone else.

"Stop, Zoë." I said to myself when I could feel myself making myself sad again. "He's an asshole anyways, like Red Hood said." My head was resting in my hands as I sat on the edge of my bed.

"You called?"

What the fuck? My head sprang up and looked towards where the familiar voice came from.

When I saw the flash of red, I sighed in relief. Thank god, it wasn't a murder or creep.

He was hanging on to the window, with his face popping out. Well his mask. I had no idea what his face looked like.

He was lucky that that window faced an alley or someone would've seen and called the cops.

I opened the window to make room for him to crawl in and waited as he did so.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. He was taller than I remembered last night, probably because I was more fully aware now. "And why are you still in that suit?"

"Just finished patrolling duty." He happily told me. This time his brown jacket was open and I could see the big red bar symbol on his chest.

"You're Batman's sidekick?"

He angrily shook his head. "No." When I noticed the change in atmosphere, I quickly changed the topic.

"Does the mean I finally get to see you without the mask?" I eagerly asked. It was probably just curiosity.

He backed away and I could hear a laugh come from behind his mask. "Not yet. I actually wanted to see how you were feeling after last night."

"Terrible." I confessed. "But I'll be fine after a quick shower and some errands."

"Good." He headed towards the window. "I need to go back, I hope you feel better, Zoë."

"Thanks."

"By the way," he started when he was halfway out, "it's his loss, not yours."

🃏

I was right. When I was done showering, I felt ten times better. Not that great, but still better than I did last night.

It was only when I opened my shirt drawer and saw some of his, that the sadness crawled back into me.

But it quickly faded when I threw them all out and slipped on a comfy blue and red oversized sweater.

My slightly wet hair was put up into a messy bun and I laid back on my comfy bed. I know I had told him I'd do errands but I lied; just wanted to seem productive.

Funny how I cared about what a complete stranger with a mask thought. I guess I just trusted him because he saved me that night and was there for me.

I didn't want to grow feelings for him, I wanted to avoid another heartbreak after last night.

So I turned on a sappy romantic movie, laid back, and ignored Bruce's calls and texts.