Chapter 3-The Aftermath

My thoughts were racing as I drummed my fingers on the plane seat. It felt as though I had been on this plane for centuries. Surely, we'd be landing soon. On the inflight entertainment system, I changed over to the map, only to see that we still had another half an hour left. Too long. It was taking everything I had not to break down in tears about this. The vampires message had been real. I'd been keeping strong for everyone, but it was difficult.

The first thing Brendon had said when he answered the phone was, "I'm sorry."

Those two words had told me everything I needed to know. Annie was gone, and those vampires had something to do with it.

They'd been watching the end of The Lion King when there had been a mysterious humming noise from outside. Suddenly the house had been surrounded by vampires. Brendon had tried to fight them off, he'd explained. Yet, they were so strong. They'd knocked him out. He'd only just woken up and was about to try and ring us when he realised.

I had no idea what our next move was going to be, but I'd talked to Hayley before our flight left and she said that her and Taylor were coming to town to help us out. I just hoped that they could.

Pete beside me looked just as nervous, we'd covered his neck up with a large plaster. The cover story we were still working on. The air hostesses had raised suspicious eyebrows as we'd entered the plane. I just hoped they thought it was an accident. Maybe they just recognised him from the band. At least that's what I tried to tell myself.

He clutched my hand tightly, noticing that I'd looked up the flight for the third time in ten minutes, "It's okay. We're going to find her."

I nodded, "I know. It's just-"

I froze looking away from Pete. I couldn't bring myself to tell him the words that were forming in my mind.

"What Cassie?" Pete questioned when I didn't respond.

I sighed, "I don't want her to go through what we went through, you know?" I frowned over at him. "Especially when she's so young."

Pete frowned and nodded, "I agree, though if she's anything like her mother. She's strong and tough. She will be fine."

He kissed me on the cheek, just to prove his point.

Eventually the flight landed on the runway in Chicago. After collecting our bags, we made it through into the main concourse. My eyes caught on a familiar sight of bright orange hair, beside them was another, a male with dark curly hair.

"Cassie!" Hayley grinned as we met her at the airport, she pulled me into a hug. I felt the tears threatening at my eyelids. Taylor was right by her side and I hugged him next. I was so glad to see them, but at the same time all the control I'd had on the flight and until that point quickly dissolved. I lost it, as tears began to fall in front of them both.

No one said anything for a moment, Hayley pulled me back into a hug and gave me a soothing pat on the back.

"We'll find her," Hayley whispered in my ear. "Together we'll work this mess out."

Joe and Andy left us at the airport, going off with their families. I couldn't help but feel envious as Joe's daughter came racing up to him just as Annie would've done to Pete and I. Hayley and Taylor were going to be staying with us, and Patrick was going to come back to our place to help us track Annie. Although he'd gone home, Joe wanted us to keep him updated and said he would be there if we needed him. All Andy said was good luck. Part of me was mad at him for that, but we'd asked so much of him years ago. If he was happy to let the rest of us do this, then we had to accept his decision.

Hayley drove us back to our house. Brendon's car was still parked in the driveway. In my mind's eye, I could picture Annie racing out of that house with Brendon. All smiles. Yet I knew that it wouldn't be like anything like what would happen.