Chapter One

It was the late summer of 1987. I had just moved to Los Angeles, California, which was a huge change for me. I've lived in New York City since the day I was born; I had everything there, I had a life there. But lucky me, I moved... here. You see, in early February my parents had this terrible divorce, and my mom's been miserable ever since. She wanted to move here to get a "fresh start". I never see my dad anymore, I don't know what happened to him, but something most definitely did. I live with my mom, and my two 12 year old twin brother and sister; Isabelle and Christopher. It's so different here. In New York, you have freedom, independence, the right to be whoever you want and do whatever you want. Here in LA, it's like everyone has this expectation of who you have to be. You have to be perfect, or no one will even think about talking to you. I've never been considered "perfect". I don't always have the latest fashions, I'm probably the most un-girly person you'll ever meet, and I don't spend my free time prank calling boys at my school and painting my nails. Back in New York, no one cared. Here it's gonna be a lot different.

My name is Andy Curtis. Yes, I am a girl, yes... my name is Andy. I actually really like my name. I feel as if it gives me character. I mean, how often do you come across a girl named Andy? Maybe once or twice, but it's definitely not as common as "Stephanie" or "Jennifer". Anyways, I'm sixteen years old... I guess theres nothing more to say about myself. I'm a pretty boring person, you know. I've never been involved in a sport, or a club, I really have no interests besides reading, writing, and making music.

I've been living in LA for about a month, and I've met absolutely no one. My two siblings seem to always be out with their new friends, playing around and having fun. Meanwhile, I'm up in my room writing poetry. Tomorrow these days would come to an end, given the fact that tomorrow is the first day of school. I'm actually going to be forced to get out of my bed and socialize with people I know I won't like. Based on what I've seen out in public, almost everyone here is a stuck up, spoiled, careless brat. I'd honestly do anything to go back to New York.