3 | Mine

It seemed the rain had chosen tonight to let her fury pour on Liam's birthday party

It seemed the rain had chosen tonight to let her fury pour on Liam's birthday party. He was turning twenty-four and I was sure every member of the pack under the age of twenty-five was here. I didn't want to come in the first place. Don't get me wrong, parties were great, but they weren't really it for me. I didn't like the attention being a member of the Alpha family, brought to me. Even more so after the past couple of days. Everyone was still talking about what had happened at the bonfire and I wasn't ready to face the social life just yet.

Everything had gone back to normal after the incident, no sirens had gone off and the soldiers weren't as restless as they were the following nights after it. The thought of a rogue on our territory had definitely made everyone anxious because it had been years since the last attack on the Pack. It seemed until now everyone had forgotten what had happened, mainly my mother's dead, but I hadn't. I was young but I could picture how everything had gone down. I didn't like thinking about it and this time it was no different, it was worse.

Ever since that night not only sad memories of my mother had invaded my thoughts, but I also couldn't shake the feeling that something was not right. Not only I had been wondering what the hell I had felt when I touched the blue-eyed man but also about my wolf. I'd heard her for the first time in my seventeen years, just once and I hadn't heard her again. Not one peep, no trace of her existence even if it was in my mind only.

Mate. She had whispered.

What was that supposed to mean? The more I thought about it, the more I narrowed it to the only three things I knew. The basics and what everyone in the pack was taught. My father never wanted me to know more because according to him I didn't have to worry about it especially now, that he was going to choose my mate with or without my support.

The first thing I knew was that werewolves had only one mate for life. You couldn't switch partners or regret who you had mated with. There was no going back... at all.

Next, it was known that females had to complete the mating process in order to awaken her wolf and secure her safety. Once she was able to shift, she could protect herself.

Last, the female was supposed to bare her mates' pups. Everyone knew once the male chose his mate, the female would be in heat and ready for the last step.

Honestly these facts didn't help much and made females look weak as hell, like they were only good for mating and bearing pups. It bothered me and it certainly didn't appease my thoughts one bit. None of it made sense, just like it didn't make sense that my wolf had awakened if I hadn't completed the mating process. It was unsettling and I couldn't ask anyone.

"What are you doing here all alone?" I heard behind my back and turned around to find Liam watching me from the front door. I was sitting on the front steps, the ceiling sheltering me from the rain.

"Just...thinking." I shrugged and gave him a grin. My eyes went down his body and my subconscious nodded, liking what she saw. Liam looked good. He wore a pair of dark jeans and a tight t-shirt that made his muscled torso stand out. He was not playing with his very well-trained figure and to top it off, the black jacket he wore gave him a bad boy vibe.