The Runaways

Short Story from my other account, written for school :p

______________________________________________________

“Let us all remember that running away is never the answer. Andy Poxleitner is yet another example to the pressures in life, but no matter what happens you have to be open-minded and…”

Fisted hands shaking in rage as Samaria listened to the principal talk about her own brother, she glared at the man on the stage who was pacing, as usual, and seemed so at ease.

“Andy could have had many reasons to run away but that is-”

“My brother did not run away!” Sam finally yelled from her seat as she stood up, everyone in the auditorium turning their heads to stare at her in surprise and then anticipation – in the way students knew and hoped for trouble to come. Sam didn’t care, not when that man had been talking so openly and easily about her brother who had suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth without so much as a note.

“Sam, please sit down,” Mr Reynolds says calmly as he frowned at her disapprovingly.

“Don’t talk about my brother like that, he didn’t run away and you know it! I’ll find the truth; I will prove it to you and all those stupid police officers that-”

Gasps went around but before Sam could make anything worse a hand grabs hers and yanks her out of the row. It was a boy, one she’s never met before but has seen around, and before she could ask what the hell he thought he was doing, he all but dragged her down the steps and out of the auditorium before the principal could break out of his shock to yell at her.

“What the hell is wrong with you? You can’t go around saying that to the-”

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you? Why did you do that? I don’t even know you!” she growled at him as she yanked her hand out of his hold just as the door shut and they stood face to face in the middle of the silent hall.

The boy in front of her sighs before pinching the bridge of his nose and shutting his eyes which gave the girl enough time to take him in and notice why he seemed so familiar. Because he was good looking. He was also two years above her… but there was also another reason…

“Do you really think that?”

“Think what?” she snaps still annoyed and worked up from what happened inside.

He opens his eyes and looks at her seriously, calmly, “about your brother; that he didn’t run away. That the cops are wrong…”

“Of course I do,” she crosses her arms and the guy sucks in a breath as if it was taking a lot of patience not to hit her or walk away… or do something.

“I wanna help you,” he says quietly.

She looks at him as if he grew two heads, “what? Why?”

“The runaway on the 7th, was my girlfriend; Tania. And I want to find her too.”

“You don’t think she ran away?” Sam asks staring at him with a bit of suspicion and thinking that he was only messing with her. Tania Haynes, a year 12 who was put down as another “runaway”; disappeared two weeks ago for god knows why or to where.

“No. I don’t,” the boy replies looking very sad and sounding very definite.

The girl nods once, “How do I know you aren’t lying? And who said I needed help anyway?” she narrowed her eyes at him and crossed her arms across her chest as he stared down at her.