Chapter 13 - How Do You Know

BRETT

I almost laugh when I see Olive storm into the suite's living room. She practically has smoke pouring out of her ears. I'd forgotten how spontaneous her rages were. This one was happening around three in the morning while every other normal person in Galveston  slept on.

"Where are you going?" Olive stops short when she hears my voice. I probably startled her.

"I don't know," She sighs, exhaling slowly as if deflating. "To go slap Bailey in the face?"

"Olive," I say, patting the couch next to me. My little sister frowns, but comes to sit next to me. 

We haven't really had a chance to sit down and talk. I'd been meaning to fly out to Texas for a while now, but I'd never gotten around to it. I feel terrible that I only came to see my sisters again because of these circumstances. I'd booked my flight before Bailey had been arrested because she'd asked me to come down after Corey didn't come home. Of course, that was a pretty good reason for me to pay a visit, so I packed my bags and headed down, just in time to find my big sister in jail.

"What's up?" Olive asks casually. I wrap an arm around her, closing my eyes. I missed her more than I'd admit to her. She's so tough and so incredibly stubborn, and I love that about her. But she has a soft side, as I believe every person does. She curls up next to me, letting me stroke her hair. 

I'm brought back to a memory where she's eight and I'm fifteen. We're on the couch, watching Casablanca. She falls asleep halfway through the movie, using my lap as a pillow. I cover her with a blanket, turning off the TV. The next morning, Bailey awakens us with a sharp, "You're gonna miss the bus."

"Eh. Not much," I reply with a chuckle. "I bet your life is a lot more interesting than mine. What have you been up to?"

"Does it matter?" Olive sighs, resting her head on my shoulder. I haven't been this close to her years. The last time I saw her in person was at our grandfather's funeral. I've been happy with my life in Maryland, but there's no denying how much I've missed Olivia, Bailey too. I also regret not being with my nephews as they grow up, but I have a good job and community where I'm living, so I just have to deal. "What about Bailey? I want to kill her so bad . . ."

"I know," I agree, hoping to calm her down. "But you have to keep in mind, she might actually be telling the truth. Maybe she really didn't do it," I point out. I'd like to believe that Aiden slipped and fell, I'd like to believe that Bailey didn't do this, but even as I say this, I'm not sure . . .

"She did," Olive snaps. "She lied." She pulls away from me, sitting up. 

"How do you know that, Olive?" I don't want to argue with her, but I do think she should give Bailey the benefit of the doubt. She stands up, leaving me alone on the couch.

"Because he told me, Brett. Peter told me that she hit him!" 

I narrow my eyes at her, confused. "What? Peter saw her hit Aiden?" 

"No," Olive says, bringing me a moment of relief. So maybe she didn't after all? "She hit Peter."

"What?" My head reels with questions, my heart burning with anger. 

"She did!" Olive insists. I look up at her, realizing how livid she is. Her hands are shaking and her face is getting red. I take a deep breath, trying to swallow all of my anger.

"Sit back down," I sigh, knowing I need to stay calm for the both of us. We don't need Peter hearing this conversation, if he hasn't already. 

Olivia glares at me for a moment, but I don't react. Instead, I take hold of her wrist, bringing her back down beside me. She sits rigidly, eyes blazing.

"I know this is upsetting," I begin in the softest voice I can manage. "But there's nothing we can do right now. We'll have to figure it out in the morning, alright?" She takes a deep breath, combing her fingers through her hair.

"Fine," She agrees with a growl. 

I know that Olivia isn't the kind of person who breaks easily. I know that it takes a lot to make her snap. I know that she has a hard time opening up to others. But it still doesn't surprise me when she cries again because I also know that she loves her nephews and that she cares about them more than anyone.

"I -- I'm sorry--" She mumbles.

"Don't apologize," I reply, rubbing her back like I used to when she was just a depressed kid with no one else to talk to. 

She falls asleep with her head on my shoulder. I cover her with a blanket.

The next morning, I am not awakened by my older sister, but by the realization that Liv is no longer beside me, and then the sound of a window being opened. The world goes black again a moment later.