Chapter 17 - See You Soon

OLIVIA

The following day was torture.

There had been no adequate distraction. Nothing could entice my thoughts from The Encantador.

I'm so glad it's over. I just want to sleep until I die. The problem is, I can't get to sleep.

I frown into the darkness, ignoring the fact that I'm shivering with anxiety. Heath sleeps on in the bed next to mine. I envy her. I want to sleep more than anything, but each time I begin to drift off, I am shaken awake by my nightmares and memories.

Sighing, I pull my sheet off my bed and drag them behind me as I tiptoe out the door, careful not to wake my roommate.

I can hear Bill snoring from the hallway. That man couldn't sleep on his stomach if you paid him to. That goes for a lot of my crewmen. After awhile, you learn to tune in out.

I sling the blanket over my shoulder, dragging my feet down the hall. The impenetrable darkness is calming.

My toes tap the edge of the staircase at the end of the hall. I climb up, throwing the door open, and a gush of fresh air rushes toward me. I take a deep breath. Being alone with the wind and the waves is just what I need to clear my head.

I stand in the doorway for a moment, letting my eyes adjust to the the darkness. After a second, I can see the outline of the mast in front of me, the knives lodged into the wood. I give the mast a scornful kick as I walk by.

My favorite spot on the deck is on the elevated platform beside the wheel. As I climb up, the wind blows my hair into my mouth. I don't spit it out. Instead, I heave the rest of my body over the platform and drape the sheet over myself.

I take a moment to be still. The moon is a glitch in the pure ebony sky. There isn't a star to be seen tonight.

I sigh to myself, unable to keep my thoughts away from my brother and nephew. I take out my phone and dial Brett's number.

"Hey, you've reached Bretford Reece. My phone's probably on do not disturb, so just leave a message, I might call you back if you've got something interesting to say. Don't waste your breath if you've got nothing, though, cause voicemail costs money. Have a great life." Beep.

I was there the day he'd recorded that message. If you listen closely, you can hear me laughing in the background. Have a great life, what a nice way to end it, I'd said to him. Don't just have a great day, have a great life because I'm never going to see you again.

I'm never going to see you again. I shake my head and move on.

I dial the Davis's home number, next. Holding the phone to my ear, I wait for the rings to pass.

"Hello! You have reached the Dave-ice-is. Leave a message. Leave your phone nummer if we don' know you. And hi grandma--!"

"Peter!"

"And if it's Aunty Ol--"

"Pete--"

"Then hi. BYEEE!"

Then there's that telltale beep, the one that says he's not there.

I don't realize how hard I'm crying until I try to speak. Clearing my throat, I let the night sky blur in front of me. 

"H-hey," I manage. "It's Aunty Olive. I, um, I know that no one's home...that's okay. When you get home we can listen to this together. Would you do that for me, Peter? It might make me feel a bit better.

"Anyways, I was just calling to say that you're going to be fine, alright? I have no idea what's happening to you right now, and I know you must be terrified. But I'm coming, okay? I'm going to save you.

"I'm so sorry about all of this, baby. I know, this might ruin our lives and it's my fault. But I hope -- I hope you understand, Peter. I love you, I would have given up everything I had for you in an instant, but I -- but I wasn't given that choice, baby, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I wish -- I wish... I don't know what I wish, Peter. I wish that I could believe that we will listen to this together one day, I wish I did.

"But I'm coming baby, I'm coming. Please, please don't blame me, I'm so sorry-- I love you, okay? I love you so much. I just want you back. So I'll see you soon. Whether it's here or--it's far away.

"I'll always be waiting for you. I'll see you soon baby."