Chapter 23 - Glass Rain

OLIVIA

The rain comes suddenly, buckets of water dumping from heaven all at once. It's a cold, harsh, and stinging storm.

The sky turns gray and the sun disappears into the stirring clouds. I growl in frustration as the ship lurches to the side.

"Ye lazy bastards! SPEED IT UP!" I scream.

"Livi, give them a break!" Robin appears, squinting through the rain. I suppose he's right, the men are working as fast as they can. The rain pouring down on their heads isn't helping. "BELOW DECK, CREW!"

I glare at him. "You can't just take control of my ship!"

"They're my crew men," he points out. "Either way, you don't want half of them coming down with pneumonia, do you?"

"I guess not."

"And I don't want you to either." His tone softens for a moment. I don't respond as he climbs the stairs to join me on the quarterdeck.

The others heed Robin's instruction without hesitation. They file below deck, yells and grunts erupting in the struggle to get below.

I can already feel the cold seeping into my skin, and it only gets worse. The rain stiffens, becoming a downpour. It feels like shards of glass pelting me from above.

Robin puts a hand on my shoulder, urging me to go with him. "C'mon, Livi."

I don't move.

What is that, in the distance there? It looks like -- no, it can't be.

"Where's Bill's spyglass?" I shout over the wind. My heartbeat quickens. I need to know if it's really what I think it is.

"Livia," He says. "We need to get below deck."

"ROBIN!" I turn to look at him, finding his hair plastered to his head from the downpour and his cheeks tinged with pink. Who would have thought rain could be so cold and harsh in the Gulf? 

He looks guilty. "SORRY!" He raises his voice, to be heard over the wind. The rain pierces my exposed skin like a basket of falling needles. The ship lurches suddenly and I'm thrown into him. He catches me, arms wrapped tight around my waist. "I kinda threw it overboard!"

I jerk away from him. "You did what?!"

He gives me an apologetic shrug, clutching the rail. "We need to get below deck!"

"NO!" I scream, patting around my belt in search. Oh, thank god, I have my own spyglass on me.

I whip it out of the sheathe, running on the tilting ground toward the front deck. "Goddamn this RAIN!"

He comes behind me, tugging at my arm. "LIVI! We need to go," The last part is hardly a whisper, his lips right next to my ear. His hands feel so warm against my frozen skin. I feel like I could just melt into him, but I need to know.

I lean over the rail raising the spyglass to my eye. "Oh hell," I mutter.

"What's wrong, Livi?" I don't respond right away. Instead, I throw my leg over the railing, straddling the slippery divider to get a better view.

"It's them --"

The spyglass goes first, slipping out of my hand and tumbling toward the sea.

I go next.