Chapter 5

The next morning, it was easy for us to get ready. We actually had extra time and made some eggs for Kimalys parents.

I still wasn't exactly cool with the idea that they were my parents as well. They honestly weren't. But we shared the name, the body features and the body. As well as the emotions, both pain and joy, hate and... Love.

Her thoughts lingered on the boy from the hospital as well. Even though she didn't know his name or what was wrong with him, she really loved him.

On the bus ride, we both dreamed. We dreamed of Kevin. Usually I just block out Kimalys dreams as they float across her closed eyes. But this time I wanted them as much as she did.

I called the command center again and asked where Kevin Nelzon was. They said they couldn't release that information and hung up.

I pouted the whole day. Even Alex hanging on "Mr. Fancy Pants" didn't distract me from thinking about him.

Kimaly was just the same honestly, if not worse. She didn't know a thing about him, when I did.

A week later it was still the same thing. I had called the command center and asked them the same question every morning and every night. I was surprised they hadn't blocked me yet.

Monday morning, after two weeks of pouting and heart brake over a guy we barely knew, we caught word of a new kid that just applied to the school.

I didn't think anything of it as we walked down the hall, until a kid nearby snickered and said, "I heard he's half dumb."

I registered something Kimaly didn't, which led to her running down the hall even though she had no idea why. We ran through endless halls to the office where a secretary was just saying, "we'll get you a schedule and find someone who has all your classes so they can help you. Is that ok?"

His voice, HIS voice said, "y-ya. Sounds- go-good." I didn't even have to will Kimaly to sprint to their side or influence her to say, "I'll do it, Mrs. Davison."

"why, Kimaly. That's very nice of you. Would you mind?"

"not at all." Kimaly to turned to Kevin and smiled. He smiled back. I thought I caught a glimmer in his eyes but it was gone as suddenly as it was there.

A call came in and I answered it hurriedly. It was Alex. Disappointed i told her I was busy and hung up.

Another call. I answered and his voice flooded the room. "hello Ms. Raxon. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." I was close to tears. "you came."

"I thought about what you said and got Kevin back. His brain isn't as badly injured as I thought. I've got a lot of cleaning to do but he only needs ten precent right?"we both laugh. "We'll get by. He's talking better than he was last week. I probably should have kept him home another week but I had to see you."

I smiled at his words. My heart ached for him to be with me, him, not just his body. "Kevin,... I think I love you."

There was a pause and my heart lurched. Too soon. Too soon.

The secretary came back out and handed Kevin a schedule. "I'll write you two a pass to first period."

When she left again, Kimaly stepped forward to discuss with Kevin his schedule. "I love you too, Kimaly." his voice was quiet but sure.

The knife that had pierced my heart only moments before, disappeared. Kimaly reached out and grabbed Kevins hand as he took a wobbly step forward. Everything was going to be ok.