6

We pulled into the university, Scott parking outside of the nurse's office. We take Chris inside, his arms slung over our shoulders.

I usher Chris over to a waiting chair as Scott leaves to go sign him in, and as soon as Scott left, all of Chris' body mass fell on top of me.

"Oomph," I say, having to step to the side to regain my balance. "You're a lot heavier than you look."

Chris shrugged. "I had a big breakfast."

I stumble over to some plastic chairs, plopping him down in one and crashing into one myself.

"I still can't believe you got a concussion from the roof of the car," I mumble, looking up at him with fatigue.

"We don't know if it's a concussion yet," Chris argued, holding the blood-soaked cloth to his head.

"But yeah," he said after a moment, looking at me lazily. "I screwed up royally. But I did it like a boss."

I grinned teasingly. "I don't think 'boss' is a strong enough comparison. You took a pretty hard hit."

"Then what do you suggest?" Chris asks, his eyes smiling at me despite his condition.

"You did it like the pros do it," I tell him, and then having to hit his arm when he stared giggling out of dirty thoughts.

"Yeah," he said after his giggling died down. "I think that will do."

Scott came back a second later, carrying an ice pack and a clipboard.

"Okay," he says, sitting down and clicking his pen. "Have you had any resent injuries?"

"My wrist from football," Chris replied, wincing as the cold ice touched his bruised head.

"Oh yeah," Scott replied. "Are you on any medication?"

"No," Chris said.

"Do you have concussions often?"

"No."

"Is this your first time in the Minute Clinic?"

"No."

They continued with the questions, Scott popping and and Chris replying with "no," monotone.

When suddenly, Scott asks, "Are you sexually active?"

Chris smirks, turning to wiggle his eyebrows at me as he responds with, "Yep."

He winks at me and I blush, having to look in the opposite direction to cool off. And when I looked away, my eyes happened to catch the clock hanging on the wall.

"Shit," I cursed. "My class starts in ten minutes."

I stand up and throw my purse over my shoulder, Chris' eyes following me. "Just bring my suitcase by later, okay?"

"Okay," Scott says, standing and giving me a hug.

"You're leaving?" Chris asks, moving to stand. I lay my hands on his shoulders, pushing him back into the chair, not wanting to make him dizzy.

"Yeah, I'm sorry," I say, looking at his upset face. "But I'll see you later, after classes."

"After classes," Chris confirms. I send him a small wave as I leave, seeing his wave in return.

•••

<Narrator's Pov>

Scott watched Chris pout as Charlotte left, this sad and empty side of Chris that Scott usually saw when Charlotte was gone. But when she appeared, it was almost as if she was the sun, bringing light to his dark world.