15

After hours of being back at my dorm, I finally got a text from Chris.

Can we talk?

I sighed as I read it, tossing the t shirt I held into my overnight bag. I had spent the morning packing, as Scott had suggested. The whole time I was thinking of Chris and our fight, wishing that he would text me or call me or something. But now that the notification was floating on my lock screen, I wanted it to go away.

I tossed it across my room and it landed on my bed with a thud. I shook my head, trying to put the thought of a worried Chris out of my head. I could picture his stressed blue eyes and creased forehead, his hands probably gripping his phone as he waits for me to reply. But that image was nothing compared to the one I had of him keeping something from me. He was hiding something back at home, and I would have to find out for myself what it was.

My bag was light. I wasn't planning on staying long. It would only take me a day to find out what Chris was up to and yell at him. After that I could visit my mom. I'd be back my Sunday night. As I finished throwing in toiletries, my phone continued to buzz, igniting butterflies in my gut. I couldn't face him. Not now.

I dozed off for a bit as I packed. I lost track of time. A knock on the door to my dorm woke me, and I drowsily rose to my feet without thinking.

In my sleepy state, it took me several seconds to recognize Chris outside my door. As soon as he saw me, bleary-eyed and yawning, his face softened.

"Did I wake you?" he said, his voice laced with concern. As I came to consciousness, I felt a pinch at the sight of him. My instincts wanted me to go to him, to hug him. But I kept my feet planted.

"Yes," I said, crossing my arms.

His eyebrows furrowed at my tone. "What happened?" he asked, his voice heartbreakingly hurt. "This morning it was me who was mad at you."

I shrugged, staring at my toes. "Things change."

His sigh was loud, and as I looked at the ground, I pictured him rubbing at his forehead. "Scott's waiting for me in the car, Char, and I can't leave things like this. So we can either talk this out right now, or you can say goodbye to me and," he says, his voice faltering. "And this relationship."

I swallowed hard. This was going too far. Just last night we made love, and today, we were destroying it. Maybe once I arrived at home I would see that he didn't actually have anything to hide, and we could talk things through, and everything would be ok. I can blame it all on Scott. Chris would have to understand.

But for now, I had to stick with my plan. I raised my chin, schooling my features to remain stoic. "Have fun in L.A., Chris," I spoke, my voice more even than I expected it to be.

And then for a second, I saw Chris break. His eyes turned red and glassy, making the blue stand out more. His mouth opened and his hands balled into fists at his sides. In that one look on his face, I could practically hear his heart shattering. He didn't expect me to say that. He thought I would take him back.

It was over within seconds. He cleared his throat and shook his head, avoiding my gaze. He scoffed, "Fine. If that's how you want to do this..."

He started to turn away, but then, he hesitated. He gently reached out his hand towards me, his eyes full of pain. As his fingers hovered next to my cheek, I watched his hand warily and made a sharp intake of breath. His hand froze, and before it could ever touch my cheek, he withdrew.

"I love you, Charlotte" he said.

I nodded sadly. "I know."

And with that, he was gone, taking off down the hallway. I watched him go, knowing that he had just taken my heart with him.