Chapter IV

The loud argument over Hermione's virtue pursued no less quietly than it had begun, and Hermione sat on the front step of the Burrow. Emotionless face, hands cupping her chin, she just sat back and listened to the indoor discussion. Withstanding the criticism was found to be much more difficult than she had imagined, but at this point, the harsh words merely hit her ears and reflected back.

She thought to herself if this was how they reacted to her being pregnant, imagine how they would react to learning Malfoy was the father. That she might harbor some unresolved feelings for him that could be bred into something... tangible.

Eventually the yelling died down and Ginny and Katie, her only two defenders, came through the front door. They plopped themselves down on either side of Hermione. "I'm sorry about this, Hermione," Ginny said, leaning her head onto Hermione's shoulder. "I knew they'd be in shock about your news, but I never imagined they'd be angry and condescending."

"It isn't your fault, Ginny. I got myself into this situation, and I can probably predict that this—" she indicated the door. "Is going to be the least of all the wildfire that is sure to spread once the Prophet finds out."

"You don't deserve this. You should feel supported in this. You are brave for deciding to undertake this on your own," Katie added.

"And just because you're on your own doesn't mean you are alone. You always have me and Katie. And Baby Potter," Ginny pointed out.

Hermione smiled. "Thanks, girls. You're the greatest friends I could ask for at a time like this."

"Come now, we're sisters, Hermione!" Ginny smiled. "More than best friends."

Harry and Ron appeared in the doorway. "May we come outside?" Harry asked. Ginny scoffed and rolled her eyes. Katie gave a permission-asking look to Hermione, who shrugged.

"Go ahead. Nothing's stopping you," Katie said, voice cold with restrained anger.

They sat in front of Hermione, but she just stared past them into the moonlit fields. She was of course going to listen to what they were saying, but she needed them to know how their reaction hurt her.

Harry spoke first, but to Ginny and Katie, "Darling, Katie, can we talk to Hermione alone?"

"No," Ginny's response was immediate.

"Ginn," Ron pleaded.

Katie stood up. "We'll go, but we won't hesitate to pound you if Hermione tells us later that you were out here harassing her. Come along, Ginny." Reluctantly, Ginny followed Katie inside, giving her husband the look.

"Hermione, can we please explain ourselves? Will you at least give us that?" Ron said once the girls had shut the door.

"Just say what you want. I can't stop you from doing that," Hermione said, still evading their gaze.

"You are our best friend, and have been since we were all eleven years old at Hogwarts," Harry said. "We love you like a sister, and consequently, we feel very protective of you."

"Nothing will change that, Hermione, and your news really freaked us out—" Ron began.

"It freaked me out too, Ronald."

"Of course it did. I'm about to be a father, and I'm freaked out as well," Harry contributed.

"And I was freaked out because you don't even know who the father is," Ron stated. "That you were so irresponsible to forget someone's face scares the hell out of me because you are the most respectable woman I know. And I know that some arsehole reporter is going to turn this into front-page news."