Chapter VIII

August 15, 2003

Draco and Hermione had agreed to date each other in secret for a few days before going to visit Draco's parents. Meanwhile, the press had begun to lose interest in Hermione's pregnancy, and Hermione had become an expert at sneaking around the cameramen to avoid getting photographed with Draco.

By the end of almost one week, they decided that it was time. Nervously, they stood hand in hand outside the gate at Malfoy Manor. He turned to her and asked, for the third time that morning, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I want to do this just as much as I want you to stop asking me about it?"

"Haha, alright, alright." He raised his hands in defeat. "Let's go then." He waved his wand over the gate and it creaked open to allow them entrance. It had been awhile since any visitors had passed through those gates.

Draco squeezed Hermione's hand as they walked the pathway through the front garden. The twenty-foot walk up to the door seemed to last an eternity for Hermione, but she strongly kept her chin up. The only evidence of her anxiety was her quivering palm that was pressed against Draco's. She subconsciously held in a breath when Draco lifted the large brass knocker and rapped it three times.

The doors were tall and loomed over her like a dark presence, but she remained unmoved. Her past was not haunting, nor inviting, but Hermione was withstanding.

The door was opened by a small house elf, whom Draco greeted as Ada. "Are my parents home?"

"Y-yes, Young Master Malfoy, sir," she stammered. "They is here. Ada will see you and your miss inside and then she will go fetch them."

"Thank you, Ada." She led them inside to the drawing room, where they sat next to each other on the couch. Draco held tightly to Hermione's hand and gave her a reassuring smile. "It's going to be fine, Hermione."

"I know it will," she nodded.

The sound of footsteps resonated down the halls in tempo with the pounding of her heart. She felt the anticipation drip down her forehead in beads of sweat, which she hurriedly wiped away.

Then, just as she remembered them—perhaps showing the effects of age—Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy entered the doorway. Draco and Hermione stood immediately, and Draco dropped her hand to greet his parents.

"Good morning, Father, Mother, won't you come and have a seat." He motioned to the two empty chairs. In any other instance, one would have imagined this a casual conversation piece, but the confidence in his words hinted to his parents that there was something he needed to tell them. And Lucius made a few mental guesses as his eyes looked over Hermione.

"Hello, Draco," Narcissa's eyes flitted to Hermione, who was keeping a strong composure. "Miss Granger, what a—what a surprise."

"Draco, what is Miss Granger doing here?" Lucius cut straight to the chase.

"Father, Mother, Hermione and I have kept our relationship hidden for long time enough," he lied. Hermione was surprised, but she understood his methods. "And we felt it was finally time to tell you of our courtship, which has been occurring for quite a bit of time, as well as a bit of bigger news." He looked directly into their eyes. "We're going to be parents." He was beaming, and Hermione smiled weakly. The expression on Lucius's face betrayed that he had suspected as much, but Narcissa was taken completely aback.

Draco continued, taking hold of Hermione's hand and moving her closer to his parents. "She is about three months along, now." Still they said nothing, but they stared at Hermione like they had never seen her before. "Mother, Father, please say something."