Chapter IX

[a/n: I know Ginny's actual birthday is August 11, but for the purposes of this story, it is August 17. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy this super long chapter! :) — GGspence1]

August 16, 2003

Hermione woke up to the smell of coffee and toast. Smiling, she got out of Draco's bed and slipped on his shirt, which had been cast to the floor.

"Good morning, beautiful," Draco smiled, holding two coffee mugs.

"Yes, it is," she said, kissing him on the cheek, taking one of the mugs from him. She felt comfortable here, in Draco's kitchen, and she couldn't help but grin at the thought of feeling like this a lot more often.

"Oh, you're not going to leave me with just a kiss on the cheek, are you?" he teased.

"Why? Wasn't last night enough for you, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco leaned down to her protruding stomach and said, "Your mother's a tease, little one."

Hermione laughed and lifted his head to kiss him. "Don't be telling lies, now." She picked up one of the pieces of toast that he had set on a plate. "This is amazing bread!"

"It's sourdough, imported from San Francisco in America."

"It's delicious!" she said through a mouth full of bread.

He laughed. They sat down at his breakfast table and engaged in light, airy conversation. Both were obviously in their element, joking, laughing, and being as content as anyone. Neither felt that the relationship was moving along too quickly—to them, it was as if they had been together years and years before.

One particular moment, Hermione threw her head back in laughter at something Draco had said, and a light flickered behind Draco's eyes. He got up from his chair suddenly and hustled out of the kitchen, "I'll be right back." When he returned, he produced a small, velvet box from behind his back, and Hermione gasped. "You know, I'd always imagined that this moment would be different. First of all, I would do some surprise romantic gesture and then say all these cliché but nonetheless true things before finally asking the question," he said. "And maybe this isn't what you imagined, either. Maybe you expected someone else to be standing before you, or maybe you didn't think you would have already agreed to the marriage the night before.

"But the hands of fate brought us here, together, now. I, for one, think that is the most beautiful thing of all of this: we were kept apart for so long, but for some reason, we were brought together in an... interesting way." Hermione's eyes were filling with tears and Draco struggled to keep his voice steady.

"I know we've had our share of quarreling and there should be no reason why I fell for you as hard as I did. There should be no reason why you would ever even want to befriend me, let alone marry me. But if there is one thing that is certain, it is that I have been waiting for you forever, even if I didn't realize it. And I am hoping—it is a deep, deep, optimistic hope—that you feel the same way about me. I love you, Hermione Granger, and I want to raise a family with you. I want to be at your side today and everyday, as your devoted husband. So will you please do me the incredible honor of loving me back, as my wife?" He knelt down and opened the box to reveal the most beautiful engagement ring she had ever laid eyes on.

Hermione's hands were covering her mouth as tears fell down her cheeks. The moment was nothing like she had ever imagined, but it was so much more. "Draco?"

"Hm?" he stared at her lovingly.

"I love you too." Her smile was the biggest smile she had ever given to anyone, and Draco smiled in response and slipped the ring on her finger before laying a passion-filled kiss on her lips.