Chapter 22

A week after the party, I still hadn't heard from Michael and I was very worried. That night he called me. What a relief.

"Cassie?" His voice made me feel so much better in an instant.

"Michael! I've been texting and calling. It's okay if you've been really busy but I-"

"I was at your house the other day." He said. My heart dropped in my chest. "You held a party? You said on that night that you were alone and not wanting to talk to anyone?"

"Michael I threw the party because I was upset and needed a distraction."

"That's fine. I'm glad that you did something to cheer yourself up. I just don't want you lying to me. Besides, if you ever need cheering up, I'm only a phone call away. I will always talk to you and try to help you. " He sounded hurt. Which made me feel terrible. The last thing I want is for Michael to be upset. Only when he said it, I realised what I did.

There was a silence over the phone for a few minutes. Then I heard Michael sigh.

"This is getting hard, Cass" he said, in his soft gentle voice.

"What is?"

"Me living here. And you living there. I miss you too much."

"I love you" I said, as I started to cry my eyes out.

"I love you too, but-"

"But what?"

"I need some time to think. I'll talk to you later".

I can't lose him. There's so many things I love about him. I love the sound of his voice when he sings, and the way he laughs to himself after something funny happens. And the way he always changes his hair colour, and his smile. And how funny and kind and gentle he is. Or the way he gets into the music when he plays guitar, or how he's so irresistible. I can't lose that. Michael and I didn't talk for a long time again. I wasn't even sure if we were still together. It was horrible.

_____________________________________________________________

Michael's POV

I got a call from Calum the other day. The day after Cassie and I kinda stopped talking so we could think about things. I didn't see how it could work out between us, but I didn't want it to end. It was weird talking to Calum, Cassie's ex boyfriend. I don't even know who gave him my number.

"Listen, dude. I've been talking to Cassie. And I want to tell you something before you guys call it all off. " Calum said into the phone.

I wasn't in the mood. "What is it?" I asked.

"I've known her for a long time, and I know a lot about her. I can tell when she's feeling down. Or when she's super happy. And I've never seen her this way before. She's been missing you like crazy, Michael. I've seen this situation before. I let her go. I shouldn't have, but I did. Over this same issue. I don't want you to make the same mistake I did. I don't know why I'm trying to convince someone to still be in love with someone I was once with, but if she's going to be with someone who's not me, I want it to be you. I visited her once a while ago and she was dancing in her room to some heavy rock song. I said "why are you listening to this?" and she said because it reminded her of you. Another time she rang me on the phone telling me that she worked out how many times she'd be able to visit you this year based on the money she'd been earning at work. She was saving up for something else, but she forgot about that. The point is, don't let anything get in the way of you two being together. She loves you, man."

He paused, And then hung up the phone.

______________________________________________________________

~ One month later ~ Cassie's POV

I got out of bed and walked around the house in my pajamas holding my blanket around me. My hair was shoved into a horrific messy bun and I didn't care at all how I looked. All I wanted was to talk to Michael. My parents went out with my sister to run errands and I sat on the lounge watching TV. There was a knock at the door. I walked over and slowly opened the door, conscious of how horrible I looked.

There he was. Michael. Looking as perfect as ever. I couldn't believe it. I felt a million feelings at once, and without saying anything I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him, and he held me tight.

"I'm moving back to Sydney" he said. "Shall we just pick up where we started from?" he held out two tickets. Concert tickets. I started crying, I had never felt so happy to see anyone. I just nodded and hugged him again, before whispering "I love you". He said it back, before pressing his lips to mine. Over the next few weeks we saw each other all the time. It seemed that we grew to love each other more and more every day. The concert he took me to was incredible, and it felt like the first time we went out together.

3 years later, we were still together. Calum, Luke and Ash were still best friends, and I was still close with each of them. Michael and I lived in an apartment in Sydney, just the two of us. That apartment is the very place where he asked me the question. I said yes.

That was just the beginning of our future together.

I am so in love with Michael Clifford.