Black Isn't Sad, It's Poetic

"Hello," Will's dad's voice boomed. Will jumped back, his hand flew back to his side.

"Dad, this is Nico," Will stood up and gestured to me. "He hurt his leg. Could you take a look?"

"Of course," Will's dad said, coming over to kneel next to me. I tried desperately to sit up and straighten my attire. Will's dad put his hand on my shoulder. "Tell me what happened."

"Um," I looked over at Will, who was standing by his mom, nervously.

"Don't worry, Nico. He's a doctor," Will assured me, a smile lighting up his face.

"Ok," I took a deep breath. I didn't know if I should really tell the truth, especially with Will and his mom right there. I was pretty sure Will's dad wouldn't judge me too harshly for what happened, after all, he'd probably seen worse since he did this for a living. I glanced nervously at Will and his mom again and this time, Will's dad seemed to catch on.

"Mary, why don't you finish up unpacking the dishes. I'm sure Will would be glad to help you. I can take care of Nico," Will's dad said. As Will's mom dragged Will into the kitchen, the blonde cutie glanced back at me. I flashed him a thumbs up and he disappeared through the doorway.

"So, how did you hurt you leg?" Will's dad asked, turning his attention to me.

"Would you believe I tripped on the curb?" I tried, figuring it was worth a shot.

"Not after what Mary told me," he admitted.

"Ok," I sighed, "I got beat up at school."

Will's dad rolled up my pant leg, revealing the hundreds of bruises that covered me shin. I doubted that there was any normal skin left.

"There's just too much bruising here. I think we should take you to the emergency room," Will's dad told me. He started to roll my pant leg back down. It was suddenly really tight and uncomfortable.

"Yep. That's definitely swollen. We're taking you to the emergency room," Will's dad stood up. "Will, come on. We need to take Nico to the emergency room."

I heard dishes being set down as Will's dad asked "Do your parents know about this?"

"No," I told him honestly. My dad was hardly ever home and I didn't want my step mom worrying about me.

"Ok. I'm not going to tell you what to do but don't you think they should know?"

"My dad is hardly ever home and I really don't want my step mom to worry about me. Really, I can handle myself," I told him. Then a thought struck me. "What about Bella. She has to be taken back to my house before we go." Bella's tail thumped on the ground at the mention of her name. The only problem with that was that if Bella came home without me, Marie would know something's up.

"I'm sure Mary won't mind keeping her here until we got back," Will's dad said. Will came into the room just then and walked over to the couch.

"Why does Bella need to stay here?" he asked.

"Because she can't go home by herself and Nico definitely can't take her home right now," Will's dad answered, smiling.

Will shrugged and took my hand, wrapping my arm around his shoulders, which, in turn, moved me so my feet were hanging off the edge of the couch. Will stood up, helping me up as well. Bella got to her feet.

"Stay, girl," I told her, wincing are the effort it took to stand.

Will and his dad helped me out to their car and I clambered into the backseat. Will and his dad sat up front and soon the car was pulling out of the driveway. Before I knew it, we were pulling up to the hospital entrance. Will's dad put the car in park and instructed us to stay where we were. He got out and walked into the hospital. Will turned around in his seat to look at me.