Whatever, Sunshine

"Good morning, Sunshine," Will said cheerily as I opened my eyes.  The sunlight hit my pupils and I hissed.

"It burns," I closed my eyes tightly and rolled over, burying my face in the pillow.

"Are you a vampire or something?" I glanced up to see Will looking at my suspiciously.  The sun was hitting his eyes at just the right angle, making they sparkle.

"Mi piace il modo in cui i vostri occhi brillano alla luce del sole," the Italian slipped out before I knew what I was saying.  I don't have much of a filter in the morning.

"What was that?" Will asked.  I was once again grateful that Will did not speak Italian.  Will continued to look at me in confusion.  Finally, I groaned and sat up.

"What time is it?" I yawned.

Will looked out the window. "About seven probably."

"How do you know that?" I leaned over and checked the clock on my nightstand. 7:03.

"When I lived out in Texas we lived on a huge ranch and I learned to tell time by looking at the sun.  I also have a pretty good sense of about what time the sun should come up everyday," Will rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly and blushed. 

"That's interesting," I said, hesitantly.  I slowly leaned down to pick up my crutches, trying my best not to fall off the bed.  The dumbwaiter dinged and Will climbed out of my bed, careful not to step on me.  Once my crutches were leaned against the side of the bed again, I looked up at Will.  He was holding a tray with two plates of pancakes, a small pitcher of syrup, and two glasses of chocolate milk.

"This looks amazing," he sat the tray down on the bed.

"It's too early to eat," I settled myself back into the mountain of pillows on my bed.

"How can it be too early to eat?" Will questioned while hungrily looking at the tray of food.

"Well I don't like to eat right after I wake up, but if you're hungry, don't let me stop you," I told him.  I watched, trying not to chuckle as he grabbed a plate and dove in.  When he finally looked up, he had syrup dribbling down his chin.

"Hold on," I said, grabbing a napkin.  I tried my best to scoot closer so I could reach, but I only managed to move a few inches.  Will ended up sliding next to me, lifting my feet up so they were on his lap.  I wiped his chin, then blushed when I realized what was going on.  My hand slowly dropped, the napkin crumpled in my fist and I looked down at my feet.  My legs were situated across Will's lap, his legs crossed.  One of my feet was in the air, the other resting lightly on the bedspread.

I looked up at Will.  He had a smirk on his face.  His eyes met mine, and then he looked at my lips.

~*~

"Nico, get up.  We have to go to school," Hazel's voice echoed up the stairs.  The only way to hear anyone downstairs was for them to come to the staircase.  I groaned and sat up, reaching for my crutches.  I had gotten better at getting ready with these wretched things.

After I had finished, I made my way downstairs, excepting a granola bar and an apple from Marie.  Bella followed me to the door as usual, nuzzling me and whining as I opened the door.  I stepped on to the front porch just as Will's foot landed on the sidewalk.  He smiled and waved when he saw me, waiting for me to catch up to him.