Chapter 17

The world is a beautiful place. The sun is shining, birds are singing, children are laughing and the world is full of joy. The sun falls across my face gently guiding me out of my sleep. I yawn happily, roll out of bed, jump in the shower and sing to my heart’s content not caring if I sound like an angel or a walrus, (to be fair it’s probably the walrus.) I then skip into my room do something different with my hair and try that bright pink lipstick that I’ve always admired but been to scared to put on. If you haven’t already guessed I’m in a pretty good mood. Why? Oh this and that… a combination of things really… Oh by the way, (just FYI,) did I mention I kissed Ollie yesterday? And he grinned at me afterwards. Just one more time just in case you didn’t quite get it I KISSED OLLIE DANIELS!!! Great now we’re all up to date.

I dance into the flat’s main room humming along to Walking on Sunshine. I bob up and down doing little spinny things on the way. I finish with a little slide landing directly in front of Emmie who is sitting on the couch looking strangely concerned. “Oh no, no, no; this day is too happy for you to be miserable,” I instruct in a sing song voice pulling a funny face afterwards. But Emmie’s face just drops even more. “Ems what’s wrong?” I ask now dropping the ridiculous optimism. She looks up at me and she looks completely and utterly torn. “Emmie seriously what’s wrong?” I inquire again this time more urgently.  “Iz, I am so, so sorry,” she whispers dropping a magazine in my lap. An old picture of Ollie and Natasha beams out from the front page. With a furrowed brow I scan the accompanying text: Natasha and Ollie; Its Back On. I have to say that dented my mood quite a bit. Emmie looks at me with desperation, eager for me to say something; anything. I close my eyes, shake my head and take a deep breath. “Can you believe the crap they print in these things, its all complete and utter bullshit,” I snap angrily.

“Iz, I don’t think it’s…,” Emmie begins.

“Emmie he kissed me,” I interrupt.

“Izzie he kissed you before,” she reminds me delicately.

“But this time it was different,” I protest.

“Izzie,” Emmie objects.

“No, you know what I’m going to go down there and clear this all up,” I inform her.

“It’s only half past seven! Anyway do you really think that’s a good idea?” Emmie calls after me but I’m already halfway out the door and before she can get another word out the door slams closed.

I’ve never got to the other side of the city this quick. I charge down the street leading up to Ollie’s massive gates. I reach them and curl my fingers around the bars but obviously it doesn’t open. Sliding over to the left I ring the buzzer like twenty times before someone’s voice crackles over the intercom. “It’s Izzie I really need to see Ollie,” I explain breathlessly.

“Mr. Daniels isn’t up yet perhaps you’d like to…,”

“Please, I’ve GOT to see him! It’s me Izzie come on,” I plead. After a short pause the gates eventually swing open. I barely even wait for the gates to open fully, instead I choose to wedge myself between them and wiggle through a tiny gap. I sprint up the path and throw myself on the doorbell. “Come on, come on,” I mutter under my breath. My heart is about to thunder its way straight out of my chest. I even begin pacing in sheer desperation.

After what seems forever the door creaks open revealing Ollie wearing a dressing gown and looking at me with a sleepy curiosity. “Ollie I just thought you’d want to see what they’ve been printing about you now,” I say quickly thrusting the magazine into his hands. He carefully unfolds it and reads the title. Have you ever been so in love you made a complete fool out of yourself without even realising? I’ve just had a horrid realisation this may be one of those moments. He drops the magazine down to hang by his thigh then stares into the distance. Here’s the worrying thing he’s looking at everything but me. “It’s not true, is it?” I ask light-heartedly but it comes out completely wrong and squeaky. He doesn’t answer. Then the penny finally drops its true. I know it sounds ridiculous but I honestly was in complete and utter denial. In my stupid messed up brain it wasn’t true, there wasn’t even for a moment the slightest possibility it was true. My head just skipped past the rational to go straight to the crazy.

I instantly look up to stop tears coming but that was a mistake because the second I look up I catch a glimpse of Natasha’s impossibly long legs floating down the stairs. “She stayed the night,” I whisper before I can stop myself. I look at Ollie horrified and he looks at me with these bleeding, desperate eyes begging me to forgive him, (no actually probably begging me not to make a scene.) “Ollie what’s going on?” Natasha purrs from halfway down the stairs eyeing me with distaste.

“It’s just Izzie, Tasha I’ll be back up in a sec,” he replies over his shoulder. He called her Tasha. Tasha. They’re real. They’re a real couple, with real affectionate nicknames and there is not a thing I can do about it. I’m ‘just Izzie’ nothing special just the stupid, pathetic rebound girl. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to… intrude. I’m happy. Obviously not for myself, for you. Not that I’m not happy. Anyway great for you guys. Oh god now I’m waffling! Look Ollie I’ll see you, um later,” I stammer leaving a distraught Ollie and a displeased Natasha in my wake.

There was nothing left for me to do but turn and pelt it away. Five seconds later a tear is tracing its way down my cheek and there’s that awful feeling that it probably won’t be the last today. “Izzie,” a voice calls after me. I was in so much distress I didn’t even register the tone of the voice I just automatically assumed it was Ollie. I turn around hopefully expecting with all my heart to see Ollie but instead it’s Natasha. “Wait. Let’s just make this clear Ollie is mine. I don’t care what went on between you two it’s over,” she hisses menacingly.

“I get it. You have Ollie. You have no competition, now piss off,” I snap back ferociously walking away. “Get back here,” she screeches.

“I’m done! I’m done with all of this. Just…,” I scream but trail off.

“Go on,” she encourages me threateningly.

“Just make sure next time he asks you to marry him say yes because he deserves better than the way you treated him,” I finish. Then I just run.

By the time I make it back to the flat I am in floods of tears. I storm through the apartment reach our collection of DVDs and then proceed to throw every single Ollie Daniel film out the window much to the bewilderment of the people on the street below. I can’t even explain what happened. Izzie switched off and anguish switched in. The next thing I remember I was howling in a collapsed heap on the floor. Hours later I am still sitting in the exact same spot feeling numb. I don’t even know what I feel anymore. My eyes are heavy with tears and I’m exhausted with the whole entire thing. I’m exhausted with my life. Why can’t things just ever be easy for me? Just once, for one time I deserved a happy ending not bloody toxic Natasha who has had her way her whole entire life. He should have been mine.