Poison Places

Lexi's P.O.V.

I gasped, backing into Josh. Tyler, well, Blurryface, was standing in the middle of the street, his hands black, along with his neck. Why? Probably some kind of pigment created by the neurological effects of the monster. He had a red beanie on, a black shirt, and black pants.

"Tyler?" Josh's voice threatened to fail him. He pushed me aside gently and stepped forward, walking toward Blurryface. Quinn stepped forward, reaching out for him. I grabbed the back of her vest and shook my head. "Let him go," I told her. She stepped back and stayed close to me. I could feel her shaking next to me.

"Tyler, are you in there?" Josh asked, daring to step closer. He reached out and put his hand on Tyler's shoulder, who looked up at him. His cold stare sent chills down my spine. "I've been thinking too much," Blurry said.

"Hey, buddy, just look at me. Please. Are you in there?" Josh wondered. "No. Tyler's gone. Tyler's empty, lonely soul is lost inside of me. You were never a friend to him. Or me," Blurryface replied.

"What are you talking about? Tyler, we've been friends since we were just kids. We never abandoned one another. We would always figure out how to be on the same team in P.E.. We would fail our math quizzes and make up for them later together. We would always sit together at lunch and spend the night at each other's houses. We're best friends. Don't you ever forget that," Josh protested, putting his hands on both of Blurryface's shoulders.

"Move," Blurry commanded, pushing Josh out of the way. A car was coming, speeding. Oh, no. No, no. This couldn't be happening.

I pushed Quinn to the curb, diving after her. "JOSH! MOVE!" Quinn screamed, sobbing. I knew how much he meant to her. I couldn't let her lose him.

The car was approaching fast, but Josh wasn't about to move out of the way just so Tyler could get hit. Or Blurryface, for that matter. Josh tried to pull him, but Blurry pushed him onto the ground. "TYLER!" Josh yelled. "STOP THIS! PLEASE!"

Blurry just stood in place, the car close. It didn't have its headlights on, so it couldn't see the two boys. Shit. This wasn't going to end well. I had to hold Quinn down, refusing to let her try and save the two. I knew it wouldn't matter to her if she got hit. She always said it was better her than me. I hated it when she said that. She was always so sad and it made me sad. I wish Frank would recognize how much she was hurting sometimes. She was using all her strength against me.

"Tyler... what about Jenna?" Josh asked. Blurry's eyes narrowed. "So what about Jenna? All she ever did was ruin me. She's the tear in my heart and I will never forgive her for changing me like that," Blurryface spat. He kicked Josh in the stomach before running away. Blurryface was gone for now, but the car was still coming fast. "Watch out!" I yelled. Josh tried to push himself up, but his leg was likely broken, snapped clean in half. He wouldn't even be able to limp back home.

"JOSH!" Quinn screamed, just as the car struck him, sending his body rolling over the hood, then crashing onto the cold, hard street. The car kept going. "JOSH!" Quinn's screams tore through the dark, ripping it apart as if it was scissors cutting paper. I could feel her whole body shake, her tears falling onto my arms. Quinn ran forward and knelt next to Josh, grabbing his hand. "CALL 911! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING JUST STANDING THERE?!" She screeched, choking on her own tears.

I pulled out my phone and dialed 911, barely able to see the keypad through my own tears. I didn't sob, or let Quinn see me cry. I had to be the strong one here.

The ambulance arrived soon after, and they told us to go home, saying they would call later for updates. Quinn was still crying, her voice breaking. It was practically gone from all her screaming. She even yelled at one of the police officers who refused to let her see him. I didn't want to think about how she would be for the next couple of days. Or however long it took for Josh to get better. If he did get better. No. I couldn't think like that. I had to stay positive. For Quinn.