Chapter Twenty-Three

These past few minutes took a lot of energy out of me, so breaking the hug, leaving the roof, and heading back to the dorm seems to flash by in seconds. The next thing I know, Nate and I are supporting one another and walking down the hallway to the room, and I look down to notice my legs, especially my knees, are bleeding. It's most likely from that dive back on the roof...I'm sure that's going to sting later on.

Chasseur is trailing quietly behind us, tail flicking every once in a while as he trots near Nate's feet. For the very first time, I notice that Nate doesn't look the slightest bit disgusted at the cat's presence; in fact, he seems comforted, even happy, that he's near him. My mouth curls into a small, content smile at the sight.

As we approach the dorm, I can see Tess' blur of blonde hair shooting out past the doorway, a restless and concerned expression on her face.

"Olive! Nate!" she cries, jogging up to us, "Where were you two?! And why are you bleeding, Oli?"

Nate and I exchange an uneasy glance. "...Weeell..." I say slowly, turning my gaze back to my dorm mate, "It's kind of a long story. We'll tell you when we get inside."

By the time I explain everything - the jump, the hug, and heading back to the room - Tess is in a completely dumbstruck state. We sit in an awkward silence for a few moments as she takes in everything she's missed. I don't tell her about the cold presence that pulled me along all the way to the roof; it'd only make things sound even crazier than they already are.

"Whoa, whoa whoa," she finally says after a long hesitation, "Okay, so if I understand everything correctly," - she points at Nate - "you tried to jump off the roof," - Tess then points at me - "and Chasseur led you to that very spot to dive forward and catch Nate before he fell to his death?"

I nod, a neutral expression on my face. "Yep...that's pretty much everything you missed."

"But my question is," Tess crosses her arms, her face contorting into an expression of confusion, "why did you jump, Nate?"

Nate hasn't said a word since we left the roof, but his facial expression is worth more than any words he has to say at this time. His eyes have that same glazed look that I've seen so many times already, but this time I notice that they have a hint of sadness, or regret in them. Now, however, I know exactly why.

A knocking at the door stops anyone from speaking up. We turn our heads and see Leo bursting through the door, and Aphrodite, Damian, Carson, and the rest of the Photo Club are standing around the doorway.

"Hey! We came as soon as you texted," Leo said quickly, glancing around the room with a concerned expression, "What happened?"

I glance questioningly over at Tess for an explanation. "Well, you weren't answering your phone, and you didn't come to the dorm for almost half an hour!" she cries back defensively, and I subtly nod in understanding. I never noticed my phone go off...

Aphrodite pushes past Leo and looks at me, worried. "Oli, are you okay? Why are you bleeding?!"

"Nate jumped off the roof, and Olive caught him just in time," Tess blurts out, speaking casually as though attempted suicide is nothing.

"WHAT?!" Nate flinches at the club's unanimous outcry, their eyes as wide as plates as they all turn their gaze to him.

Damian furrows his brow. "Hold on, why did he do that?!"

"I was gonna ask the same thing," Tess pipes up, and everyone stares at Nate in wait for an explanation.

"Nate...is there something you haven't been telling us?" Micha, who managed to squeeze past Damian and Leo and into the room, asks. I don't say anything; it's time for Nate to explain everything on his own and finish this once and for all.

A long silence looms over us. Nate refuses to speak for a long time, but he glances down in surprise when Chasseur hops into his lap, laying down and tilting his head upward to meet his gaze.

Nate eventually looks up at us and draws in a shaky breath.