Chapter One

--PART ONE--

<~{[ONE YEAR LATER]}~>

¥~Olive~¥

Everything is silent.

I lay motionless in the tree, camera poised against my face. The evening sun to my right casts a perfect and pristine shadow against the branches, creating a complex lighting that makes it hard to see.

I can work with that, though...

My right forefinger trembles against the button, urging to press down and capture the moment. But I know that I can't. If I did, the beauty before me would disappear instantly. I have to wait for the perfect time to strike.

A small bird pops up between the shadows, jerking their head around curiously to take in its surroundings. I hold my breath, trying not to startle it.

Come on...you can do it...

The winged animal turns its head in the direction of the sun, shadows casting a piercing look against its feathers. Its beak shines in the light, creating a dull but beautiful glare that brightens the scene by just a little bit.

My finger presses down quickly.

The bird takes flight at the sudden 'click' of the camera, and I sit upright and take the device away from my eye. I examine the shot and smile.

Perfect.

I managed to catch the bird at the exact moment. One second longer, and it would've flown away.

I hop down from my perch, camera slung around my neck. Smoothing out my faded gray sweater, I trot towards the road and pull out my keys. A vibration in my pocket draws my attention as I slip into the car.

"Hello?" I say, clearing my throat.

"Olive? Where are you?!" Another girl barks on the other end of the line.

I huff with a sarcastic smile, pulling out of my parking spot and accelerating back onto the road. "Tess, I'm out by the park. Stop worrying about me."

"Well, you're always constantly out! Of course I'm gonna worry about you!"

"Oh shut up, I'm on my way back now."

"Alright...don't do anything stupid on the way."

"Okay then, Mom."

"But seriously. Get back ASAP, alright? The others are looking for you."

My eyes widen as the reminder flashes back into my mind. "Oh, SHOOT!" I cry out to myself. "Right, right. I'll get there in a sec."

Tess laughs, hanging up on me as I pick up speed. How could I have forgotten? Photography Club always meets during the week, not on Sunday when everyone's still tired.

But then again, with Tess' jerk brother Leo taking the lead for Photo Club, you never know when a rescheduling will happen.

The roads look deserted on the way home. It's probably because the park closes at 6:00, but it's a lot quieter than it usually is...especially for a Sunday.

I take a deep breath and concentrate on getting back on campus. Scenery doesn't matter at the moment. At least, that's what I want myself to think.

You see, I see the world as a giant place of beauty. What others see as ugly or weird, I see as a chance to capture another beautiful thing. And I can't help it, either. Even when I'm doing something else, like eating, or driving, or even doing work, I can spot out the smallest things and have the sudden urge at the back of my mind to whip out my camera and take a picture.

Heck, if you took a picture of the entire world and asked me to point out every beauty in it, I would laugh and say that it's all right there.

But of course, sometimes I have to look closer to see the true beauties.

And sometimes, I have to completely stop.

I'm snapped out of my deep thought as I spot something on the side of the road. Slowing down to a stop beside it, my eyes widen and my right hand slowly covers my mouth.

I slam the gear into "Park" and immediately hop out, jogging toward the man on the side of the road. He's lying face-down, head turned away from me. His dark black hair is strewn around in a messy way, and his black shirt is ripped at the back and the bottom hem.

"Oh my gosh..." I cry breathlessly. "Holy crap, are you okay?!"

I kneel down and put my hand on the man's shoulder. He's breathing, but hoarsely. A quiet groan comes from his mouth upon contact of my palm. I'm practically hyperventilating by now, praying that this man isn't badly hurt. My hand pulls him toward me, and it reveals his face - scratched and, at some parts, bleeding.

"Sir, are you okay?!" I manage in a panicked tone. "Sir? Sir, are you okay?!"

No answer.

Probably unconscious...

I look around, still panicking. Crying out for help'll do no use. Not out here. How about my phone?

I clumsily reach into my pocket and pull out my cell. But when I try to unlock it, it refuses to turn on. I scrunch my eyebrows and angrily shove it back in.

Runs out of battery at the worst time possible...

I look worriedly at the man. His breath is even more hoarse than it was before. The only choice I have now is to bring him back to Tess and I's dorm, but...

...It looks like I have no choice now.

I grab the man under the shoulders and stagger to my feet, bringing him with me. It takes me a good eight minutes to even drag him towards the car and open the door, and another five to lift him inside.

Gosh, he's heavy...

I hop back into the driver's seat and look back at the man. He looks so weak, so pale...almost as if he's been out here for a long time...

I turn back around and start the car again, trying my best to stay calm as I resume the drive back to school.

I don't know who this man is, I don't know where he's from...I don't even know what he's doing out here.

But I do know that I have a LOT of explaining to do when I get back to the dorm.