Epilogue

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."

-Nelson Mandela

<~[{SIX MONTHS LATER}]~>

It was a particularly rainy day.

Then again, Florida was always rainy in the wintertime, so it wasn't like I could do much about it. I didn't even bother to bring an umbrella, either...

My feet shuffled awkwardly on the gravel road beneath me, my eyes fixed on the dreary graveyard gate standing before me. Chasseur sat snug in my arms, trying his best to shield himself from the rain. I couldn't believe I'd flown all the way out here with him...but I knew it was for the best. This needed to be done.

I inhaled, then shakily exhaled, stepping forward and entering the graveyard. The gravel crunched with every step I took, the steady rhythm of the pattering rain thumping along with my stride. I eventually navigated my way to one certain headstone, stopping before it and staring down at it for a very, very long time.

"HUNTER HUGHES," it read, "LOVING SON AND FRIEND."

I closed my eyes for a moment, gathering the courage to speak. When I opened them again, I began talking.

"Hey, Dookie," I muttered quietly, "Sorry I came to your funeral a whole year and a half late...I'm really bad with time, aren't I?" A weighted chuckle escaped my lips, and I paused for a moment before continuing on.

"...I-I didn't miss anything, did I? I mean, a lot has happened to me this past year...I don't even know where to begin.

Uh, I took a really long break from making videos. Like, really long...I spent it hopping around the country; I eventually found my way to Tallahassee, actually." - I shifted my grip on Chasseur and knelt down closer to the grave to show the cat off - "Oh, and this is Chasseur. He kinda started following me the first night I left...I'm not entirely fond of him yet, but he's growing on me, don't worry. A-Anyway, how are you doing? I hope you're happy where you are...it'd suck if you were in a place where you didn't feel at home."

I stood back upright and sighed, standing in silence for a few moments. I couldn't feel the tears streaming down my face, as they mixed in with the pouring rain.

"...Why'd you have to die, Hunter?" I asked, my voice much lower and sadder now. Of course, I got no reply; I was talking to a dead man. "Why couldn't I have been the one to go? You had so much to live for..."

I shook my head and wiped my tears away, sniffling loudly as I chuckled, "Aw, what am I doing? I promised myself I wouldn't cry...Sorry you had to see me like this, Dookie."

I caught Hunter up with everything that'd happened to me this past year, starting from the hospital and ending at this very moment in time. I didn't know how long I talked, but it felt good to be speaking to my best friend again, even if that meant just projecting my feelings to a graveyard where the only living things were me and a cat.

The sky eventually cleared up, and the sun peeked out from behind the chilly rainclouds. I glanced up at the sky and squinted my eyes, noticing the widespread, welcoming arms the clouds formed. I smiled and shook my head; I didn't need to be taken away, not anymore. Here was where I wanted to stay.

Chasseur's weight in my arms suddenly disappeared, and I looked back down to see the cat jumping out of my grip and landing before Hunter's headstone. He looked up at me, eyes shining as he meowed loudly, circling around the grave and sitting atop the stone.

I raised my eyebrows. "What is it, Chas?" I asked, and the cat meowed once more, not moving an inch.

Realization suddenly washed over me, and I sighed, eyes heavy with sadness. "Aw, you too?" I crouched down and lifted my hand to pet the cat one last time, a small smile spread across my lips. "That's okay. I understand that this is what you want to do."

Chasseur purred and closed his eyes, rubbing his head lovingly against my hand as his tail flicked back and forth with content. After a moment, I stood back up and sighed quietly at the cat and the grave.

"So long for now, buddy," I whispered, my smile still on my face. My heart sank as I backed away from the grave, not wanting to take my eyes off of it and the black cat sitting atop its headstone. As I approached the graveyard's gate again, I knew it was time to go.

I turned around, and Hunter was gone.

Nate flew back to LA and started recording videos again; the fanbase was overjoyed to hear of his return. He still keeps in touch with Olive and the others today.

Olive finished college with a degree in Photography, and went on to become a professional photographer for a nature magazine.

Tess, who dropped out during her third year, pursued a successful acting career. She lives with Olive in downtown Tallahassee.

Leo and the rest of the Photography Club went their own separate ways, but most have stayed in contact to this day.

Chasseur disappeared after he and Nate parted ways at the graveyard. He was never seen again.

- - T H E E N D - -