Suspicions

The police are in my room.

Lydia Martin is also in my room.

I have just woken up from a fulfilling nap to the sheriff, a deputy and a detective scouring my room for anything suspicious and talking to my mom. Lydia is trying to explain to the deputy what happened with larger than life hand gestures.

I groan to signal my presence. "Mom!" I say. "Why is there a police squad in my room?"

She raises her eyebrows. "You came home with injuries all over you and then talked about a supernatural creature attacking you!" She throws her hands up in the air. "How could I not call the police?"

Lydia speaks up with her poised, distinguished voice. "Sheriff, can I talk to you outside?"

He sighs and then nods. "Parrish, you can perform the basic tests for me?"

Parrish nods obediently and gets to work as soon as the sheriff leaves. He asks me questions like if I remember last night, what happened last night and where I was last night. I respond truthfully to all of them.

He pulls out a cotton swab and swipes the inside of my mouth. He asks me if I've done any drugs and I tell him about that one time when I tried a cigarette and choked on the smoke. He looks like he's trying to keep a smile in. He gives me a breathalyser test and I pass with zero alcohol consumption.

The sheriff reenters the room as my alcohol level is displayed on the screen. "We're going to need to conduct a proper investigation at the station. We're going to need you and Lydia to come to the station so we can figure out what the hell is going on."

"Look, sheriff, I'd love to help with the investigation today, but I simply can't. The Game of Thrones season finale is on tonight. I need to find out what happens."

My mom buries her face in her hands with embarrassment and the young deputy cracks a smile. The sheriff kneels down next to my bed. "We'll get you back in time for the last ten minutes. Promise."

Lydia and I are in the back seat with the deputy. The deputy and Lydia are almost sitting on top of each other, which leads me to believe that there may be something more than friendship going on there.

The station is a dull, small place, clad in drab shades of cream and brown. I trudge into one of the offices with Lydia and sit opposite Deputy Parrish, who is in charge of the investigation. Parrish asks me the same questions as before, and I answer the same.

"Can you describe the person who attacked you?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

I bite my lip, trying to picture the creature in my mind again. I take a deep breath before starting. "He was tall-taller than a human being. He had this thick liquid all over him that smelled horrible. He had fangs and claws like Scott and Theo, but his claws...they glowed."

The deputy's composure falls and he shows a sign of recognition. His expression only reveals itself for a second, but it's long enough to see that he knows what I'm talking about and that he has encountered it before.

"You can go now," he says quickly. I look at him sceptically before I stand up and walk out.

The station is a buzz of commotion outside. Voices come from all sides, each blending into one continuous hum of activity. Lydia leads me through the thick sea of desks and people to Stiles and Scott, who are standing next to Sheriff Stilinski.

"What's going on?" I ask. My eyes dart side to side as I try to soak in the full scene.

A boy is being dragged through the station, struggling against the police holding him back.