Potential

The cave is tucked behind thick scrub and has little in way of an entrance. I wonder how Malia stayed here so many years without losing her mind.

Or maybe she did.

I push aside the branches that scratch at my arms and legs and make for the mouth of the cave, ducking under the roof of the cave.

I can see the outline of the werecoyote, shoulders slumped and posture relaxed. Almost sad, I realise. As I approach, I catch sight of the baby doll clutched in her hands. The thing is distorted and broken but she looks at it admiringly. The doll's one eye stares back at her.

The crash, I think. She must have had that mangled doll with her during the crash. The years of wear have affected it substantially but there is also dents in it that couldn't have been caused by the years but rather the crash.

"Malia," I softly say. I don't know why Theo sought me out to do this. I probably won't have the heart to lock her up even with my siren abilities prominent during it.

She flinches slightly and immediately puts on a defensive front. "What do you want?"

"I need you to come with me," I say cautiously. I take a slow step and she narrows her eyes at me.

"What do you want?"

"I want to talk," I tell her.

"I'm not going with you," she says.

I try to hide how offended I am. I coax my gift out to resonate in my voice. "You need to come with me," I say. My siren voice comes suddenly and strongly.

She nods slowly. "Yeah. Yeah, sure."

I raise my eyebrows. It worked. My siren voice had worked. I nod stiffly, still in awe at my own potential. "Let's go, then," I suggest, a fake smile plastered on my face.

I lead Malia to where my Volkswagen is haphazardly parked in a clearing. She stays silent most of the way. "Where are we going?" she demands some time during the drive.

I don't answer and bite the fleshy part of the inside of my cheek anxiously. "Where are we going?" she repeats.

I still don't answer. What the hell is a believable answer to that question without telling her where I'm taking her?

Luckily, the house is in sight from the car and I at least get to park the thing before Malia takes off, hauling the door open and scurrying across the road.

I mutter a string of curses under my breath and take off after her. She moves with extraordinary speed and grace and I find it hard to chase after her with my human pace.

I'm about to give up when stumbles on a tree root and goes tumbling to the ground. She groans as she falls to the ground. I stand over her cowering figure and feel a sharp pang of remorse in the pit of my stomach.

"You said you'd come with me," I growl.

She flashes me her fangs and her hands are tipped with claws. She pushes herself up and circles me. I let my talons shoot out just in time before she charges at me. She brings me down with her, my back striking painfully against the grass.

I grunt and shove her off, sending her tumbling to the ground. She lets out a low, guttural sound and gets to her feet. She raises a leg, sending it into my gut but I grab her ankle and twist it at such an angle that she cries in agony.

She backs off and resumes circling me. I eye her off, awaiting her next move. I lunge at her, my target to grab her and drag her to the house. My hand barely brushes her arm when she grabs my throat and crushes it in her fist. She growls in warning, her eyes glowing a vivid blue. Her hand constricts my throat and I feel my eyes growing heavy.