Hollow

"Hey," Theo says softly as he approaches. I don't turn back as he lowers himself down onto the grass beside me. "I thought I'd find you here."

I personally didn't think my mother's grave was very obvious, but I guess Theo did. "You know me too well, Theo, honestly," I say with a hollow chuckle that doesn't sound convincing because it isn't.

Theo sighs softly. "You're not only upset about Mason," he murmurs. I keep my eyes trained on the grass in front of my crossed legs, picking out dead grass and flinging it onto the ground somewhere else. "This is about Josh." He waits for me to say something, but when I don't, he continues. "I thought you hated him."

"Now, now, Theo," I say, looking up at him as the corners of my mouth lift into a small smile. "Hate is a strong word."

Theo grins. "But I'm right."

I huff out a gentle laugh, raising my eyebrows. "You've got a point there." I look down at the grass and then back up at him. "You can't kill your pack, Theo," I say. "It's just...It's not how we do things."

"It's how we do things now, though," he says. "If I'm to get the Beast's pow—"

"You killed Josh, Theo," I say. "You didn't kill just a member of your pack. You killed Josh. He trusted you, Theo. He was scared." I swallow hard. "If Deucalion wanted you to kill me, would you do it?"

"That's different," Theo says. "That's completely and utterly different. No. I wouldn't kill you. You think I didn't mean everything I said last night? I did, Arden. We're still getting away from here after the Beast. This doesn't change anything."

"I want you to stop listening to Deucalion," I blurt out. "I mean, I don't think — well..."

He puts an arm around me and draws me to him. "What is it, baby? Tell me what you're thinking."

I fix my gaze onto his. "I don't trust him, Theo," I say. "He's trying to make you do stuff you normally wouldn't. I just...I don't trust him. There's something about him that just seems...off."

Theo sighs. "You know I hate fighting with you, baby," he says. "I'll keep a closer eye on him, okay? We just need him to help us get to where we need."

"Theo," I begin. "Just don't do something that you'll regret."

"I won't."

We sit in silence for a while until I finally break the silence. "Are you going to kill Mason?"

"He's not going to be Mason for much longer, Arden," he says. "There's nothing I can do to stop it and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. I'm not trying to kill Mason, Arden, I'm trying to kill the Beast of Gevaudan. I'm trying to kill Sebastien Valet."

I lean into him and wrap my arms around his middle. "I want this to be over, Theo," I whisper. "I want it to go back to before my mom died and before Mason became the Beast."

Theo caresses my hair, his fingers brushing down my spine. "It will," he murmurs. "I promise."

After a while I say, "What about Scott? Would he know what to do?"

"Arden," Theo says suddenly. "I didn't see Mason in that mask. I saw Sebastien. I didn't want to tell you."

I purse my lips. "Mason won't exist for much longer, will he?"

"That's why we need to see Scott right now," he says. "Can you text the little one?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "The little one? You mean Liam?"

"That's his name," Theo says. "Sorry. I don't really bother with names when they're so insignificant."

"Theo!" I scold, but I'm laughing as I speak. "Don't be mean to little Dunbaby!"