Book 2 - Summer 2007

Sorry this is a short chapter, but at least it's a quick update - only 2 days after the last chapter - which is a record for me.  I know it's short, but I hope you enjoy it.  Let me know what you think of Alex and Anjali.  Any song suggestions for this chapter???

______________________________________________________________________________________

Anjali

School was out and the muggy hot New York summers had started. The kids were both in camp this week.

It was only ten am and I didn't know what to do with myself. The kids weren't around and I had the day to myself. I felt so lonely without the kids at home.

I picked up the phone and I called Raj's office. I rarely called him in the middle of the day, but today I needed to hear his voice. I needed to not feel so alone.

After three rings, Rebecca his assistant finally answered, "Raj Malkani's office. How can I help you?"

"Hi Rebecca, it's Anjali, how are you?"

"Hi Anjali, I'm fine. How are you? It's been so long since I've seen you. How have you been?"

"I'm fine thank you. The kids are out of school and this week they're in camp so I had some time on my hands and I was hoping Raj was free for lunch. Is there any chance his schedule is open?"

"That would be a great treat if you came in. Let me check his schedule." I wait while I hear Rebecca clicking her keyboard in the background.

"He has something tentative on his calendar. Why don't I connect you to him and he can better tell you if the meeting is actually going to happen or not."

"Thanks Rebecca, I appreciate it."

I wait again as the line is connected to Raj.

"Hey Anjali, is everything okay?" Raj asks.

"I'm fine. Everything is okay. You've been working so late lately and I thought I could come and have lunch with you today so I get a chance to spend some time with my husband. Are you free for lunch? Rebecca mentioned you have something tentatively planned."

"Glad to hear everything is okay. Listen today is crazy so if this meeting doesn't come through I could use the extra time for some reports I need to prepare. Can we do lunch another day?"

"We could make it a short lunch. You have to eat," I say looking at the living room walls caving in on me.

"Sweetheart, I'll have Rebecca block a time on my calendar and you can come to the office and we can take a long leisurely lunch. Why don't you see if David's wife, Cassandra is free for lunch? She knows all of the best restaurants in the city. And maybe you can go shopping with her afterwards."

"No problem," I say as I dig my heals into the plush white rug. "Have Rebecca let me know when you're free and I can come by the office. It would be nice to have lunch with you. It's been a while."

"Absolutely, not a problem."

"What time are you coming home tonight?"

"It will be after dinner tonight. We have some investors from Japan visiting and we're taking them out to dinner."

"Oh, you didn't tell me you'll be working late tonight."

"I'm so sorry Anjali, I thought I told you. Listen I have to run. I'll have Rebecca call you with a time for lunch."

"Sure. Have a good day."

I hung up the phone. The walls were caving in on me. My stomach hurt and there was a pounding sound in my ears.