4

A few months later, Harry got a call, early in the morning. He groaned and rolled over, while trying to find his cellphone. With an aggravated grunt, his hand kept shuffling around. Once he had gripped the beeping device in his large hand, he accepted the call.

"Hello?" Was all he said, before he abruptly sat up in bed. A frown took over his lovely features and his heart started pounding rapidly in his chest. His eyebrows knit together in worry, and once the call had ended, he shot out of bed.

Harry tripped multiple times and he cursed each time. He grabbed a random shirt, his coat, cane and glasses, quickly putting them to use. Harry left his house and he had felt that the ride to the hospital was dreadfully slow. Not once had his heart stopped hammering against his ribcage in those few minutes.

Finally, he had arrived. He ran over to the front desk, or as fast as a blind person could walk, and asked for what he needed.

"Which room is Ivory Esmond in?" Harry blurted to the nurse, almost out of breath.

"Floor fifteen, room 18B," was all he heard before taking off. He didn't even hear the nurse ask him if he was okay, because he was already rushing towards the elevator.

In a few minutes, Harry almost gotten to Ivory's room, with the help of a nurse. Alas, he was stopped mid-way as a doctor spoke to him.

"Are you Harry?" The doctor questioned.

"Yes, I am." Harry spoke frantically, as the nurse held onto his arm, to keep him stabilized.

"We need to talk," the doctor added, with a grim expression.

+++

Harry was seated in the doctor's office. The doctor had informed Harry about Ivory's leukemia and how it had come back. It was a chronic disease that was slowly building up and this time, it was going to take Ivory along with it. She had already reached the second to last stage of leukemia - the last stage was death.

Harry was mumbling 'no' to himself, over and over. This couldn't possibly happen to him. His whole life was a curse. With constant battling against depression, he finally found a source of happiness; Ivory. She was like a candle in a completely dark room. He knew that she was made for him, the second he talked to her. Finally, something good had happened to him. She couldn't just leave him like that. He madly was in love with her. She was his hope; she was his light.

The doctor told Harry to go and talk to Ivory. She was going to pass away very soon; a week was what they had predicted, because she was on life-support. Harry's heart broke with each word that tumbled out of the doctor's mouth.

A nurse led Harry to Ivory's room. He opened the door, once the nurse had left and walked into the eerily quiet room.

The familiar 'clunk' of Harry's cane caught Ivory's attention. Her head snapped towards the sound and she smiled, forgetting about everything for a second.