uno

"From now on, you're going to live with your dad and sister in Apple Valley."

I'd never felt this happy before until my mom said those words. I've been waiting for those words to come out of her mouth since...well, forever. Growing up, I never knew what the real meaning of the word "family" was. My parents had a divorce when my sister Emily was twelve and I was eight. The primary reason of their divorce was the death of my little brother, Isaac. He was three when he drowned in the pool at our old home. My mom was supposed to keep an eye on him because my dad took Emily and I to the candy store. My dad kept blaming mom for my brother's death and he couldn't live with her anymore, so they both thought it would be best if they get a divorce.

My dad didn't want my sister and I to live with my mom because of her "reckless" behavior, so he attempted to get custody of both of us. Unfortunately, he only could take one of us, and it was Emily because she was older. After the divorce, my dad moved with my sister to Apple Valley and lived at my grandparent's house until my dad could find a job. Two months after they moved, I received a letter from my sister. She was updating on the situation. I remember what she had written so clearly.

                                                                                                       ***

                                                                                      May, 4 years earlier.

It was Tuesday, which meant it was finally the day that I would receive a letter from my sister. She recently moved to Apple Valley with my father and I missed her terribly. Before moving, she told me that each Monday of every month she would send me a letter so that I would receive it on Tuesday. Why Tuesday? It was the day my mom gave birth to me and Emily became a big sister. Emily had always told me that it was the best day of her life.

I was sitting on the doorsteps of our house when a big truck pulled in. A man with a big belly got out of the truck and held a box in his hands. I was so excited that I started jumping up and down.

"Matilda! Matilda, come here!" I yelled excitedly to my nanny. Matilda has been my nanny since Emily and my dad moved away. She was like a mother to me. Matilda wasn't old; but she had a few wrinkles on her face from the sleepless nights that she spent with me. She had a few white strands of hair, but she managed to hide them perfectly with her hairstyle of a sleek bun.

Matilda came running out of the house frantically, a frying pan in her hand.

"What? What's wrong, my little sunshine?" She said, breathing heavily. I pointed at the guy that was walking slowly towards us.

"Look, he finally came," I said, as a few tears escaped my eyes and fell onto my cheeks. "I can finally know what Emily and my dad are doing."

Matilda's face expression changed quickly from worry to sympathy. She placed the frying pan that had a semi-cooked egg on the table on our porch. "Oh, honey," she cooed, pulling me into her arms. "I'm so happy for you." I felt her kiss the top of my head. We stayed like that until the mailman cleared his throat. I pulled away from her and turned around to look at him.

"A package for Ms. Richardson?" He asked. I walked towards him and said with a smile, "that's me, sir."

He handed the box that held a very special something to me from a very special person. I took the box and walked to the swinging bench on the porch, but not before thanking him. I saw Matilda out of the corner of my eye signing a paper that the he had. I tore open the box, and light blue tissue paper was the first thing I saw. I slowly and carefully removed every piece of the tissue paper that was in the box. A gasp escaped from my mouth as I saw what Emily sent.