quatro

"What do you think?" Emily paused, looking at her purple painted nails. "Should I change the color?"

I looked at her perfectly painted nails and shook my head. That's how I usually spent my day off, laying around at home and eating Chinese takeouts with Emily.

It has been a month and a half since I moved to Apple Valley, and it also has been a month since I last talked with my mom. I tried calling her but its always busy. Emily and Dad tried and failed to convince me to stop calling. Even though she wasn't there for me most of the time , I felt like I have to talk to her.

"Anyways, you wanna go to the beach? I want to wear the new bikini I got from the boutique you work at." Emily stood up and walked to where the potato chips were and took a handful and walked back to her place.

"If you continue eating like this, I swear the swim suit wont fit." A new voice added. I turned my head and found a tall man with green eyes and black hair. He was also wearing glasses that looked like they were made in the 60's.

"Uncle Robert!" Emily yelled. She stood up and ran to him, hugging him tightly. I looked away, not knowing what to do.

"I have an uncle?" I murmured to myself. "Woah, there are a lot of things that I didn't know of."

"Why is she murmuring to herself like a, what's that word again," He fixed his glasses. "Ah, lunatic."

"Uncle Robert!" Emily hit him on the chest. He deserved it, Ass.

"What? Why did you hit me?" He whined like a two year old. I looked at him my cheeks were already red.

"That's Penny, my sister." Uncle Robert looked at me with a confused look on his face."The one I told you about last time you were here, remember?"

He shook his head no.

"Robert Adam Foster stop being an ass and go hug my daughter." Dad said, holding his spatula. Dad was making his favorite dish, Mac n Cheese for his lunch with his book club partner, Mr. Houston.

Uncle Robert walked to where I was standing and held my hands. He looked at me without talking for a half minute before kissing me on my forehead.

"Hey sweetheart, I was messing around with you just to see how would you react." He smiled at me. I looked at Emily, who has texting on her phone , and gave her the 'help me' look. She sighed and put her phone in her jeans pocket.

"C'mon Penny. We have to get ready for the beach."

*****

"So how do you like Apple Valley so far?" Asked Emily, licking her hazelnut ice cream that we got earlier.

"It's cool," I looked at the family of two that were building a sand castle few meters away. Two girls, a brunette and a blonde. They reminded me of Emily and I, when we we're younger.

Flashback

"Em look!" I pointed at dad, who was currently building a sandcastle.

"Woah, thats so amazing dad!"  She turned to look at out mom. "Mommy look."

Mom was changing Isaac's clothes. He had a white swim shorts that had little airplanes on them. Isaac was playing with the sunscreen lotion bottle that my mom gave him to keep him distracted.