Chapter 5 Reunion

The cold rough dirt pressed into Rennar's back as he leaned against it, sitting on his rear. He appeared to be staring at the metal spikes that had been revealed by his transformation. He closed his eyes as his thoughts took him years and miles away from where he was, or even who he currently was. Back to when he had been a simple farmer. Where he'd work all day in the fields, and come home to a supper prepared by his loving wife, Rayuh. Her belly swollen, and still growing. He could remember his ear pressed against her belly, as he listened for the baby's heart beat. The feeling of their baby's feet pressing against Rayuh's belly.

He opened his eyes, and a single tear rolled down the side of his cheek as he began to shake back and forth, his arms wrapped tightly around his knees. He hadn't faced these memories in so long. What had he become. The people he'd hurt. The people he'd killed. He was a monster. Becoming an Enraldi had only made him an even bigger one. He wanted to die. If he was gone, he wouldn't hurt anymore. He wouldn't make other people hurt anymore.

Rennar climbed slowly to his feet, and stared at the spike in front of him, on the other end of his pit. If he ran at it headfirst... It could end... It would end. Maybe his family was there. Waiting for him somewhere in death. His family. He tensed up, getting ready to charge into the spike at full force. "Layla and I love you. Don't give up. Live." Rayuh's voice whispered into his head, and it was as if she was right there. Speaking to him.

His tensed up muscles relaxed and he fell to his hands and knees, his hands grasping the cold dirt desperately. He couldn't give up. That wasn't the kind of man he'd been. He had to fight. To stay strong. For Rayuh, and for Layla. He would do it for them. Maybe he could fight this, fight what they'd made him.

That crazy old man in the prison. What had he said. Herbadum. That had been his name. He'd said "the Enraldi aren't what they're supposed to be. What they were. If you ever remember me telling you this, seek out Ayamesh." Seek out Ayamesh. Rennar grew excited as he realized he was exactly where he needed to be.

As a prisoner. He sat back against the dirt wall once more. What would he say to Ayamesh. An old man had told Rennar to find him? That would be received well. Oh you were sent by Herbadum? Why didn't you say so. Let me just free a powerful monster that could destroy this whole village in minutes. His thoughts froze as he heard the sound of nearby footsteps. 

He rose to his feet to look through the bars of his prison as Ayamesh walked into view. Now was his chance to talk about what had happened in his previous jail cell. Then another man came into view, walking behind Ayamesh. And Rennar couldn't speak. He stumbled back and fell onto his rear. No it was impossible. It couldn't be. Rennar had spent years after the fire looking for his brother. How could he finally find him, here of all places. Rygon walked back into Rennar's view, to where he stood directly above the cage. He watched Rygon's face pale as he stared into Rennar's eyes. 

"You... but... you're... I thought you were dead. The fire... what about Rayuh and Layla?" Rygon asked. 

Ayamesh stepped forward and placed his hand on Rygon's shoulder. "Rygon, I'm sorry. It's not Rennar anymore, It's an Enraldi now. It shouldn't remember anything from before. And yet it knows... his name. This doesn't make sense."

Rennar stood once more. "They're dead Rygon. They were murdered. I went home after working the farm to find them both... dead. Rayuh left me a note. It said they were looking for you. Who was looking for you? Why did they kill my family for it?" His voice began to tremble, his nails cut into his palms as his fists clenched. "I just need to know why." And the tears began to stream down his face as he stared up at Rygon. His eyes showing the frustration, pain, and torture that he'd been holding in for all of these years. 

Rennar began to shake, he could feel the rage inside of him trying to grow as the beating of his heart sped up. "No, I won't. No. You won't take me demon. No." Rygon stood there, unsure what to say. 

Ayamesh stepped back, hearing the fear and anger in Rennar's voice. "Rygon, be careful. It's transformation is connected to anger. You... Rennar, right? Slow your breathing. Think about something else. How do you remember your past?" 

Layla. That little girl he'd seen yesterday. No, thinking down that path wouldn't help. He took slow, deep breaths and stared at Ayamesh. "Who is Herbadum?" 

Ayamesh's eyes widened and he stepped towards the cage. "Herbadum is our God. We belong to him. You shouldn't know his name. Von-... Excuse me." Ayameshglanced nervously at Rennar watching him carefully. "The Emperor destroyed every scrap of knowledge relating to Herbadum that he could find. I'm the only one of Herbadum's clergy still alive on all of Solanth."

"He was there, in my cell with me. Before and after they turned me into... this." He pointed at the mark on his cheek. "He told me my name was Rennar, and to never forget that. Before I was changed, he told me if I ever remembered him saying this, to find you. To find Ayamesh." Rennar trembled at the memory of the change. A god. He had held a god against the wall and questioned him.

Rygon took a deep breath. "Rennar... brother. I don't know what to say. They died, because of me. The only thing I can think of i-"

Rennar cut in, "don't you dare take the blame for their deaths. The one responsible was looking for you, yes. But it was that... person. Not you. Who was looking for you, and why?"

Rygon looked at Ayamesh knowingly, and then back at Rennar. "It had to be. There's a book. That I had found, an ancient book. About, about before the emperor. When he was just a man. An initiate. He was in training to beco-."

"It's better that we don't say that title around Rennar. Memories or not, he's still Enraldi." Ayamesh cut in sharply.

Rygon glanced at Rennar nervously. "I'm sorry, Ayamesh is right. I should have thought of it, I'm just, well, today has been a long day. Well the Emperor wants to destroy the book. He will stop at nothing to erase it and anyone who might have touched it from existence. He would've succeeded then too. If Ayamesh hadn't found me first."

"I think that's enough for one day. Rygon you need to get some rest, and we all have much to consider. Rennar, you may seem human now, and you remember who you were. However, you're still Enraldi. The moment you change you will be in the Emperor's control. You understand why I can't release you." Ayamesh'es voice left no room for argument.

"I'll be back after I get some rest brother. We have a lot to catch up on." Rygon said before he turned and walked away, Ayamesh beside him.

Rennar sat down once more, thinking of what he'd learned. The Emperor had been the one looking for his brother. That could only mean one thing.The Emperor had turned him into the very thing that had removed his wife and child from life on Solanth. An Enraldi had been the one to murder his family. Rennar's cheek began to glow as he rocked quickly back and forth. There was one thing on his mind as he struggled with the raging anger inside of him. Von'Roth and the Enraldi must die. Von'Roth and the Enraldi would die.

A/N: Thank you for continuing to read my story. I will continue to do my best and keep updating it. I hope that you will comment what you thought, and vote for it if you enjoyed it. As always, any tips or advice is welcome.