Chapter 11 Family

Rennar took a bite from the nearly empty bowl of oats in front of him. The Inn common room was quiet and nearly empty this early in the morning. The Inn keeper, he'd learned his name was Durin, the only other person in the room. He was wiping down the chairs and table tops in the room. Rennar let his spoon clatter into the empty bowl, swallowing the last bite. "Uhm... thanks, for the meal and the room."

Durin placed the cloth on the table as he turned towards Rennar, "my wife Sarah will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast, Ayamesh left this note for you," Durin said as he pulled a folded piece of paper out of his apron pocket and handed it to Rennar. 

Come see me at the town hall after your lunch. Enjoy your morning ~Ayamesh

Rennar put the note into the pocket of his new pants as he stood, "right, thanks. Could you tell me how to get to Rygon's house from here?"

"When you step out the front door go left, it will be the third house on your right."

"Thank you... for your kindness." Rennar walked towards the door, pausing at the sound of Durin's voice.

"I have a family you know, they deserve the chance at a free life. Free from the Emperor's tyranny." Durin was still leaning into the table, the rag squeezed tightly in his right hand no longer wiping across the table top.

"I... why are you telling me this?"

"Because I know what you are. I can see that mark on your left cheek. I know what it means-,"

"Everyone knows what it means. That I'm a monster, an Enraldi," Rennar cut in angrily.

"You're right. That is what it means. But that's not what I mean. You're different, there's more then a monster inside of you. Ayamesh see's it, and he said Herbadum see's it. You can help to earn my family that chance at a free life. I want you to know that we believe in you. And we'll do what we can to help," Durin said.

Rennar stood uncomfortably in the silence for a moment, not sure how to respond. He stepped out of the inn and closed the door behind him. He leaned back against the door and slid his hands across his face and through his hair. What was going on here. How could people trust him. He'd killed men over money. He'd murdered Seth, a man he knew almost nothing about.

"What's he doing Anna?" Rennar looked up to see two little kids across the street. The girl, Anna, held the little boys other hand as he pointed at Rennar.

"I don't know, adults are weird. And it's rude to point Matthew." She walked up the road pulling Matthew behind her.

These people are insane. Rennar pushed off the door and walked down the road. He counted the houses on the right, staring at the third one as he walked toward it. 

He raised his hand and knocked on the door gently. In the past he and Rygon had always just walked in whenever visiting each others houses. But that tradition had changed quickly when he'd married... Now wasn't the time to think of her.

The door opened and a little girl with brown hair looked out. It was Layla. Her eyes widened and she swung the door the rest of the way open as she shouted, "Uncle Ren!" and jumped into him, wrapping him in her arms.

Rennar was surprised to find himself hugging her back and holding her up. She set her feet down and let him go, before grabbing his hand and pulling him inside.

"Come on, my dad's inside eating."

He followed dazedly behind her as she pulled him inside. Uncle Ren?! Her dad?

"Mom, dad, uncle Ren's here!" Layla let go of his hand and sat at the table.

Rygon stared up at him from the table, he stood up quickly, his chair clattered to the floor behind him. "Ayamesh let you out!" Rygon came over to him and hugged him tightly. "I can't describe how good it is to have my brother back again." He shook against Rennar, overcome with emotion.

Rennar wasn't sure how he felt. It was warm and weird... he hadn't felt anything like this in so long. "Rygon I..." he looked at Layla and another woman standing there watching them. "You have a family?"

Rygon let him go, and wiped his face with his sleeve. "I see you've already met my daughter, Layla. We named her after my favorite niece. And this is Sarah, my wife." 

Sarah stepped forward slowly, and offered him her hand, "Rygon has told me about his kind and loving older brother for years, I'm glad for the chance to meet him." 

Rennar took her hand and pressed it against his right cheek as he bowed, "I hope that some day you will meet the man my brother spoke of. I haven't seen him in over a decade." He released her hand and stood. The room was completely silent as they stared at him. 

"Does it hurt when you turn into a giant furry animal?" Layla asked.

"Layla! That's not something you should ask your uncle!" Sarah chided quickly as Rennar and Rygon stared at Layla in shock. 

A smile slowly grew on Rennar's face before he burst out into laughter. He pulled the fallen chair off of the floor and sat beside her as he chuckled, "A giant furry animal? I wish I could see things the way you do." He gently ruffled her hair, relaxing back into his chair. Layla pushed his hand off of her head, a small smile on her face. 

"Have you had breakfast yet Ren?" Rygon sat down, pulling his bowl in front of him.

"I had some at the Inn, thanks though."

"I think I'll take Layla for a walk dear, give you two some time to catch up," Sarah said.

Layla pouted and said in her whiny voice: "but I want to spend time with uncle Ren!"

"You can spend time with him later, I could use some fresh air and time with my daughter," Sarah replied.

Layla sighed, "fine then, lets go." She waved goodbye before following her mom out the door. 

"Does it hurt when you turn into the... giant furry animal?" Rygon asked, half smiling at the way Layla had phrased it.

"Of course it does, but I couldn't tell her that." Rennar answered.

Lea sat quietly on the stairs, listening as the two brothers conversed below her. Rygon had told her and the family about his brother late last night. It appeared Ayamesh had decided to release the monster. Her knuckles turned white as she tightly gripped the handle of her knife. That monster wouldn't hurt any of her family. She'd make sure of it.

A/N: This chapter is a little less intense then the rest. Definitely a lot more light hearted. I hope it goes well. Let me know what you think! As always I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on my writing. Also, I love to hear any theories you might have.