Chapter 1: The 13th

I was sitting at home on my laptop just typing away at a story I called The Survivors. Anyway I heard a knock at my door and I walked to see who it was. When I opened the door two policemen were there and they had information for me.
"James Crimson" one officer said.
"Yes" I responded with.
"You have been selected to go to Terra Nova on the 13th pilgrimage" the other officer said. "Wait Terra Nova, as in a new beginning and all that stuff" I asked.
"Yes" the officer said with a smile.
"When does the pilgrimage leave" I asked. "Tomorrow morning at about 9:30" the officer responded.
"Well then I'd better pack" I said.
"We will escort you at 8:00 in the morning because you are a solo traveller. At least according to my papers" the officer stated.
I was only a solo traveller because my mother committed murder when she killed my father. She is in prison and he's dead so I'm all alone now.
"You are correct. I will leave the door unlocked so that you can come in when you get here" I said to the officers.
"Very well" the officer stated as he and his partner left. I packed my things and went to bed at 1:00 in the morning. At 8:00 the officers came in and woke me up so I could get to the portal before everyone else got up. We reached the portal at exactly 9:30 and it started powering up. I was in the back of the line with the other solo traveller.
"Hi" she started with a smile.
"Hi" I responded. She had an English accent and was extremely pretty, so I instantly became nervous.
"I'm Sophie" she said as she stuck out her hand for a handshake.
I shook her hand saying, "Pleasure to meet you Sophie, I'm James."