Chapter 2: The Portal

Sophie and I talked for a while about how weird it would be to travel back in time. Suddenly Sophie asked
"Since we are the only solo travelers on this pilgrimage maybe we should room together?" "Sure," I said insecurely.
"Cool," Sophie responded.
We started to walk to the portal with everyone else and Sophie and I talked even more about our parents and how hers died in a car accident.
"Hey James," Sophie said while we were walking.
"Yeah," I responded.
"Can I hold your hand because in all honesty I'm terrified," she asked.
"Yeah sure," I said as she ever so gently rested her hand in mine.
"Thank you," she said as we walked together. When we reached the portal we stopped and looked behind us at the world we were leaving behind. Tears filled both of our eyes as we walked through the portal.
When we first stepped through there was a flash of blue and then a burning in my lungs. It was the clean air,unlike the air in 2151 where you had to wear a rebreather to survive.
"We're here," I said to Sophie as she smiled and gave me a huge hug.
"Wow it is way more beautiful than I imagined," Sophie said.
"What was the hug about," I asked her.
"Oh yeah sorry I hadn't expected myself to do that," she said very apologetically.
"No need to apologize I needed someone to hug," I said with the jitters because she had surprised me.