Chapter One: Aftermath

It's after the battle with Ultron. The Avengers have settled into their new base nicely. Even the newest Avengers, Vision and Wanda, have settled in well. But there's something everyone is coping with... The dying silver-haired man in the med room. The regenerative machine made by Helen Cho has been working hard on repairing Pietro. So far it's working. But everyone has been hoping for the best and fearing the worst. Not getting their hopes up, because it may not work. They are all taking the news hard, but one of the Avengers in particular has taken it the hardest. Alex Barton.

Alex and Pietro became really good friends. Even better than friends one night. They had developed feelings for each other and they both knew how the other felt, but they never really said anything about it. Just acted upon the unsaid feelings. Then the day after Pietro was gone. Out of the Avengers' lives, out of his sister's life, and out of her life. Possibly forever. Alex just held onto the little hope that the regenerative machine could work and save Pietro's life.

(Alex's P.O.V)
It's 5:00 in the morning. I can't sleep. I just keep thinking about Pietro. Our friendship. And then our "relationship" that night before he was shot by Ultron.  I just can't get a minute's rest because my mind won't stop roaming. I think of Pietro, the battle against Ultron, even things that haven't happened! Like my brother's death, one of the Avengers' deaths, and my own death. The last one doesn't seem that bad right now. But I feel as if my whole world was brought down. So I'll just lay here and be depressed. Like everyone has gotten used to the past few days...

6:00 am...Still haven't slept. I can't keep this up much longer. I'm not even tired though. I decided to get up and go to the nest. The new and improved nest, since we're at the new headquarters. I climb the rope up into the nest and look out over the empty training room. There's no noise. Seems peaceful, but it's not. There's actually a looming sadness over the Avenger's Headquarters. It's Pietro. Some say he'll come outta the machine as good as new. Others say he's too far gone. And I don't really have just one thought, I have several. Wanda and I check up on him at least once a day. She always lights up when she realizes he's doing better and may wake up soon. But other days nothing changes, makes it hard for both of us to believe he'll ever wake up. So I say it could go either way, he's improving, that's a plus, but sometimes things get better before they get worse.